Rods and reels?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Heijac
Species: All

Rods and reels?

Post by Heijac »

I know this has been gone over and over, at least on the old forum, but I am going to start it again anyway! I am shopping around for a couple of light weight 7 or 7 1/2 foot rods, and some matching lighter weight reels. The selection seems to be pretty limited, unless you want to spend alot of money. Here is what I am thinking so far. Okuma 15dx reels, and Okuma Kokanee rods. I have an older one of these reels, so I'm familiar with them, as well as the Cabelas brand reels, but I'm open to other suggestions. I would like to hear if any of you guys have, or have used the rods. Thanks!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Rods and reels?

Post by raz »

I haven't tried the Okuma's but I like the Daiwa's. The Daiwa 17lc is a great "light" reel. I have one and several of the 27 lc's.
This year I think I'm going to spring for a (1) Saltist...and give it a whirl.
Diawa's Heartland Kokanee Trolling rod is very light and has been my favorite for a few years...but it's an 8.5 footer.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

Have to agree with Gerry, I have 6 Daiwa Accudepth 27lc's match up with Daiwa Kokonee 8.5' rods and love them. I think they are the best bang for the buck.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I will chime in as well with the 8 1/2 ft Daiwa Kokanee rod and the accudepth Daiwa reel is a killer combination for the buck. I use the smallest 17 LC Daiwa reels. If your looking for a 7 or 7 1/2 ft equivalent rod you may have to go to a rod builder and a suitable blank for $100 to $200 a rod. The components are pricey. If one of those get broken it's painful. Been there once.

I have even caught Spring Kings in Ontario up to 20 lbs on those rods. 8 1/2 feet is a good length.

That is a hard production combo to beat for the price.
Heijac

Post by Heijac »

Are the Diawas better quality than the Okumas? As I said, I do own one of the Okuma reels, had it for many years, and its been great. Wish I could find someone with one of the Okuma Kokanee rods, they do come in 7 and 7 1/2 ft. Nothing wrong with 8 or 8 1//2 fters, I have several. But I have found that the way my boat is set up, the shorter rods do help a little. I bought an Eagle claw 7.5 last year, and I like the length, but the action is too heavy. Thanks for the input though guys!
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Heijac wrote:Are the Diawas better quality than the Okumas? As I said, I do own one of the Okuma reels, had it for many years, and its been great. Wish I could find someone with one of the Okuma Kokanee rods, they do come in 7 and 7 1/2 ft. Nothing wrong with 8 or 8 1//2 fters, I have several. But I have found that the way my boat is set up, the shorter rods do help a little. I bought an Eagle claw 7.5 last year, and I like the length, but the action is too heavy. Thanks for the input though guys!
Just let Jeremy and Reggie barrow those rods and i promiss they will come back a foot or two shorter!
Todd
Heijac

Post by Heijac »

I cant say too much, I busted one of Jeremys this season!
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

Heijac wrote:Are the Diawas better quality than the Okumas? As I said, I do own one of the Okuma reels, had it for many years, and its been great. Wish I could find someone with one of the Okuma Kokanee rods, they do come in 7 and 7 1/2 ft. Nothing wrong with 8 or 8 1//2 fters, I have several. But I have found that the way my boat is set up, the shorter rods do help a little. I bought an Eagle claw 7.5 last year, and I like the length, but the action is too heavy. Thanks for the input though guys!
Randy

I think people shyed away from the Okuma's because when they first came out the drags were not the greatest and the line counters tended to stop working but they have since corrected the problem. I bought 2 Okuma Magda Pro 30dx's last year, which are equivelent to the Daiwa 47lc's, for 2 new leadcore setups but have only used them a little but they seemed to work fine and they were a little cheaper so for me the jury is still out. As far as the rods are concerned never used them but give Ramel a call at The Old Fishing Hole and he might be able to help you out with the shorter rods.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I have 4 Okuma Magda Pro 30x mounted on Okuma Classic Pro 8'6" and I love them. They are spooled with 200 yards of yellow 50lb PowerPro braided line.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Good to hear on the magda pro 30 w/line counter, I just got 2 for X-mas with the intent of using them for slide diver setups. I've had good luck with my other Okuma reels. Don't know anything about the rods, though, but am following the discussion as I'd like to get another couple light wt. rods myself.

The 30s are, I think, too heavy for the light wt salmon rods, but I think the 30s will work for lead or heavier braid slide diver (I hope).
________
Mike
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

I use 4 of the Okuma Kokanee SST 7'6", light action, 4-12 lb line, 1/4-1 oz lure matched with Okuma Convector CV 15 D and they are a delight to fish with. Lots of good stuff out there, I think you would enjoy these as much as any of the rest. I ordered them thru Fish 307, he ordered some extras with mine, he just may have some left. Good luck!

Give me a shout if you want check one out before ordering.
See you on the pond!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

you guys should know that any of these reels drags can be upgraded. I found a place on the web that upgraded the drags and cleaned and serviced 2 diawa LC47 reels for 52 bucks including shipping,,,.so you don't have to spend $200 to get a 200 dollar reel
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Randy- like others have stated- i am pretty sure that The Old Fishing Hole has a few different Okuma rods and several sizes (30s, 20s, and maybe a smaller one as well??) of Okuma line counter reels in stock if you want to check them out. I have a couple of Okuma 30 line counters with lead on them and I love them.

Old Fishing Hole also had some of those great looking blue Okuma rods.

I also own a couple of Daiwa 17LCs on 11' Quantum rods and like those as well. Some 17# Excel backer, and a full spool of 30# Powerpro with 12# fluorocarbon leader after the swivel. I use one as a Slide Diver rod and the other is a backup or used for stagger (my longest rod at 11'). Ramel has the three sizes of Daiwa LCs in stock as well.

Mark
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

I have light action Okuma, Diawa Kokanee, and Lamaglas Rods and Diawa, Penn, Okuma and Shimano reels in stock at The Old Fishing Hole. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

I have 6 of the Okuma magda 20's and 2 of the 30's and have had no problems with them. The 20 is a good size reel for Champlain - enough reel to handle lakers and small enough to not be a winch for salmon. The 30's I use for kings and when running divers and in line blades.
Salmon, the other pink meat.