The BIG submerged electric cable???

Share info on fishing Champlain.
karl

The BIG submerged electric cable???

Post by karl »

http://www.chpexpress.com/

This project appears to be a "go"...$2 billion cable from Montreal to NYC, mostly buried beneath Lake Champlain's bottom...I believe it has been mentioned either here or on the "old" forum...

The proposed path of this cable puts it within 300' of my shoreline near Isle Lamotte...

I have been unable to locate anything in the environmental impact statements regarding possible warming of Champlain waters adjacent to the cable...frankly, for me, such warming could actually be a benefit, especially if it meant no icing, meaning docks could be left in all Winter.

Any technical people reading this forum who could comment on the warming potential issue?

Thanks-

Karl
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Re: The BIG submerged electric cable???

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I don't see this cable being any kind of a heat source to our lake or the resources. If the cable was producing any kind of heat, then it would have to be doing work or producing wattage and in theory it would be a heater and not a conductor. The cable is a conductor of electricty and not a load. The cable will be large enough and of good conducting materails as not to be of great resistance. Basically a combination of high voltage and low resistance to create low loss and no heat.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
karl

Post by karl »

There will still be significant I²R losses dissipated as heat into the water, since we're talking about billions of watts continuously flowing along that cable 24/7/365...

My limited understanding is that it will be very high-voltage DC, later re-converted to AC once it reaches the NYC consumers.

It is indeed a high-tech cable, but it will still have resistance losses which will heat the water to some extent...unlike the environmentalist's objections, I'm actually hoping for enough escaped heat to keep my little cove ice-free all Winter...
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

(I think) the higher the voltage transmitted, the lower the amperage required = less line loss. Less line loss = less heat lost which is undesirable/wasted energy.
Is there a line-man on the site?

Karl...I seriously doubt there will be a measurable heat loss from the transmission lines. Definitely not enough to keep you ice free.
If there were a substantial heat loss, enough to heat the surrounding water, there is no way this or any other underwater/underground project could get off the ground.

Here's a link to the project. I found it interesting and educational.
http://www.chpexpress.com/index.php
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Raz- I am not a lineman, but although I agree with you that heat output will be minimal, the "higher-voltage/lower-amps" relationship of which you speak has to do with the LOAD end of the mathematical relationship of watts/volts/amps, not a transmission line.
I used to never remember it (not an electrician either LOL) on my own but used "west Virginia" to remind myself of the basic form of Ohm's Law: Watts Equal Volts Times Amps (WVA) W=VA
I am surprised to read that would be DC- not as easily stepped as AC for high-power transmission and the assumed constant of voltage drop for a given size wire and run length effects DC with more loss than AC over longer runs. I want to know more about that.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

check this out (I didn't read the whole thing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-volta ... ct_current
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Post by Gray Ghost »

Gus
Tight Lines