1,000-megawatt electric line under Lake Champlain?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Eric L
Species: Whatever bites

1,000-megawatt electric line under Lake Champlain?

Post by Eric L »

http://www.timesunion.com/default/artic ... 352000.php

"A 1,000-megawatt underground electric transmission line from Quebec to New York City may be closer to becoming a reality as negotiations with governmental and environmental groups have taken on a more positive tone.

The proposed $2 billion project — which has the financial backing of private equity giant The Blackstone Group of New York City — involves two cables, each five inches in diameter, buried under Lake Champlain and the Hudson River, with some of the 330-mile route along railroad beds."

What do you guys think?
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Re: 1,000-megawatt electric line under Lake Champlain?

Post by Surprise »

Better than in the air....No Ice storms, no Hurricane. No ruined mountain views. My 350 ft lead for house power has been buried since 1985.

The country need energy and it has to get there somehow. Take your pick. JMO. Randy
Fish On!
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

I dont think this would ever go through. I think too much enviro hype etc. However alternatives are needed. Buried is better but would be a massive expense to fix it when it breaks. IMO
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Watch your cannon balls when trolking out there
Black Ghost (Ken)
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Given the alternatives I do think this project will get full approval to go through. Putting a cable or two at the bottom of the lake compared to being above ground where electrical magnetic waves can harm us; or to run it through farm pastures, forests, mountains and etc etc & etc. The enviro hypes will allow it. Now if you want a new coal burning power plant or nuclear reactor... no no no!

Just my opinion..
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

I hope a large fraction of the $2 billion goes toward the fishery.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I'm not so sure it would really create a problem. Like the article mentions, "Similar cable technology has been used for decades to transmit power across large bodies of water like the English Channel."

I think if the cables are laid in the right area, with proper mapping and planning, they will become buried in silt and no one will ever know they're there.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

fishing eagle (Walt) wrote: Now if you want a new coal burning power plant or nuclear reactor... no no no!
Daily, I drive by many fields that are BLACK right now with a given substance that has been spread on them. Rather than a fossil fuel burning plant or a nuke, (or maybe even buried power lines under the lake) I'd rather see acres of photovoltaic panels producing power to feed our energy hungry lifestyle/civilization. (And the jobs it could create!)
Oh--some of that black substance is so close to moving surface water....well, we know where it ends up. In the lowest part of the Champlain Valley, Our Playground.
Gerry
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I do not understand why som many people are against solar yards and wind mills. Both are a great way to produce electric energy. I also think a wind mill sitting out in a field is kind of interesting if not attractive, yet there are people fighting against them.

Maybe the wind mill might hurt a duck as it flies by? LOL
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

fishing eagle (Walt) wrote:I do not understand why som many people are against solar yards and wind mills. Both are a great way to produce electric energy. I also think a wind mill sitting out in a field is kind of interesting if not attractive, yet there are people fighting against them.

Maybe the wind mill might hurt a duck as it flies by? LOL
I agree, I firmly believe fields of wind mills and solar yards is the way to go. I remember seeing an article in the newspaper about a town somewhere not wanting to put windmills on top of a hill or mountain because it ruined the "beauty" of the area. How a field full of clean and renewable energy is not beautiful is beyond me! :lol:
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Matt wrote: How a field full of clean and renewable energy is not beautiful is beyond me! :lol:
Well stated.
Gerry
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

I gues I won't need my black box anymore. I wonder if they could dail in the range for salmon.

Michael
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Save the Lowell Mtn Range! :D

If we really want to save the fishery we need to harness every last drop of cow plop and convert that into energy = less runoff!

The hype of saving scenic vistas etc from wind generators is only short term. Those opposed will die in x years and the new generation over the course of many years will know no different because they were brought up in an era of new technology and will embrace the so called scars of the landscape.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

My home & camp Both run on 100% COW POWER & I pay 4 cents more a kw to support it. CVPS has had this program for a number of years now. Foster Brothers in Middlebury and Blue Spruce Farm in Bridport put it into the grid. They use the Poop when demethaned and dried for bedding and compost.
Fish On!
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

WildFisherWoman wrote: If we really want to save the fishery we need to harness every last drop of cow plop and convert that into energy = less runoff!
And then the Farmers can simply buy Dow and Monsanto chemical fertilizer for their hay and silage needs, and there won't be any evil "runoff" from that smelly manure...

[/sarcasm]

:mrgreen:
There was a young man from Nantucket...