Propwash flys

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Propwash flys

Post by Surprise »

Some have asked how it's done and How fun is that.....this is how I usually run

Jigging or stripping a fly is a great and fun way to hook up with Mr Silver Leaper!

My fly rigs usually consist of a Fiberglass Flyrod, Worn out casting flyline, 6-8 ft of monofiliament a keelweight or sinker and fly. Usually I run them off the sides as longlines out 90 to 100 ft. Turning frequently allows the fly and weight to drop or rise depending the side it's on.

Jigging on the side is usually done with rod in hand jerk, jerk, forward and let back.

In the wash let out just enough line to get the fly at the tail of bubbles. Put it in the rod holder tip high and watch it dance back and forth Or jig it there a bit but be ready for a good strike cause you may drop the rod. They are usually explosive there.. Best luck Randy

P. S. you can use a spinning rod too. Or one time the Admiral was using a ice fishing rod. That was a handful!
Fish On!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Propwash flys

Post by raz »

Randy...no weight at all when in the prop-wash?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Gerry,

6-8 ft of monofiliament a keelweight or sinker and fly. same Rig.
Fish On!
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

That works good in the ponds in the Adirondacks for trout - same techniques you described.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Excellent description, Randy. I like the propwash setup and have had days when that was the prime producer. My set-up is a floating flyline with a 15' mono leader. Pinch a split shot about 18" up from the fly and set it out. I like this set-up because I have the right set back when there is about a foot or so of flyline in the water. Easy to judge that way.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Thanks for the tips.

How about dodgers?

Ken
Tie my own
Black Ghost (Ken)
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

lateforwork wrote:Thanks for the tips.

How about dodgers?

Ken
Tie my own

I like the Luhr Jensen size "000" the best, but "00" is good too. The patterns I usually run are chrome with prism tape, chrome/brass split, and copper. The small e-chip dodgers seem to be popular this year too. I have used them,but not as much as the Luhr Jensons.