Small lures or Big lures? Many small fish or one big fish?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Small lures or Big lures? Many small fish or one big fi

Post by digitroll (ron) »

60 feet down and 180 feet on the slide diver counter.

Some great observations and food metaphors.

Pass the Peanut butter and crackers? :mrgreen:
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Crazy Ivan wrote: THE BIGGEST SALMON EVER RECORDED ON LAKE CHAMPLAIN WAS CAUGHT LESS THAN 6 MONTHS AGO ON A SMALL SPOON!
I hate to be technical but I think the largest salmon ever recorded on lake Champlain was caught on live bait...while perch fishing at the sand-bar bridge.
SMALL live bait.

Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

I might have to bring some Crawlers with me to the salmon hole. :mrgreen:

oh, a big crawler!
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

I think the biggest salmon in Lake Champlain was caught by people who were fishing. :)

And I'm not fishing right now :(
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Todd:

Now why didn't I think of using my eating preferences to explain this question???????? :lol: :lol: You made my day !!

I think that you are absolutely right about preference for what is available at the time your path intersects that fish!

But I have a little variation on that. My thoughts are that the choice is really an effort (risk) versus reward concept. If the forage where you are fishing is very small then I would change the pattern presentation to be mostly small with a small commitment to larger spoon(s). The opposite is true if the forage is all big, i.e. mostly large spoons in the presentation with a minimal commitment to smaller spoon(s).

A predator animal knows not to chase mice if it is starving. The reason is that too much energy and calories will be expended to catch the mice with little hunger relief value. If there is a real choice, then I would say opt in favor of what is closest, after easiest, potential satisfaction, and effort are considered.

Converted to fishing .... proper presentation to active fish at the right speed and you are in a pretty good position ???
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

tamiron wrote:Todd:

Now why didn't I think of using my eating preferences to explain this question???????? :lol: :lol: You made my day !!

I think that you are absolutely right about preference for what is available at the time your path intersects that fish!

But I have a little variation on that. My thoughts are that the choice is really an effort (risk) versus reward concept. If the forage where you are fishing is very small then I would change the pattern presentation to be mostly small with a small commitment to larger spoon(s). The opposite is true if the forage is all big, i.e. mostly large spoons in the presentation with a minimal commitment to smaller spoon(s).

A predator animal knows not to chase mice if it is starving. The reason is that too much energy and calories will be expended to catch the mice with little hunger relief value. If there is a real choice, then I would say opt in favor of what is closest, after easiest, potential satisfaction, and effort are considered.

Converted to fishing .... proper presentation to active fish at the right speed and you are in a pretty good position ???
Jim
I total agree.....
Todd
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Raz wrote:
Crazy Ivan wrote: THE BIGGEST SALMON EVER RECORDED ON LAKE CHAMPLAIN WAS CAUGHT LESS THAN 6 MONTHS AGO ON A SMALL SPOON!
I hate to be technical but I think the largest salmon ever recorded on lake Champlain was caught on live bait...while perch fishing at the sand-bar bridge.
SMALL live bait.

Ahhh Yes i forgot about that one. I am sure there are others, and plaese feel free to be technical.... I need it!...... But that dang Video that the kids took of Effie catching that fish is forever etched in my brain.
Todd
digitroll (ron)

Some wonderful insights! I like the eating metaphor. :mrgreen:
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I don't know; but over the past many years of my fishing adventures, I have caught some tiny fish and wonder how it was able to swallow my hook. I have landed some small fish including Salmon or Trout that were as small or smaller than the lure I caught them on.

One must wonder at times... are the fish that hungry or do they think they are bigger and stronger. If I could only figure out what the fish want.... I would have less lures & need fewer tackle boxes and also more money in my pocket.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

fishing eagle (Walt) wrote:If I could only figure out what the fish want.... I would have less lures & need fewer tackle boxes and also more money in my pocket.
Amen!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reel Delight (Walt)

I really hate to agree with my wife too often or admit that she is right on too many things; but I think she has a good point when she says I have more fishing tackle than I will ever use in my lifetime.

But we all do know deep down inside of us, that most lures are made to attract us fishermen. We fishermen do seem to have a great imagination when it comes to shiny & pretty things.
Retired & ready to fish!
digitroll (ron)

I remember reading the large forage is deeper like the game fish at times hanging near this larger forage. Maybe a larger lure down deeper at times 40-60 feet might be the ticket. Smaller bait up higher YOY. Correlation?
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:I remember reading the large forage is deeper like the game fish at times hanging near this larger forage. Maybe a larger lure down deeper at times 40-60 feet might be the ticket. Smaller bait up higher YOY. Correlation?

I think so in summer and early fall especially!
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

fishing eagle (Walt) wrote: But we all do know deep down inside of us, that most lures are made to attract us fishermen. We fishermen do seem to have a great imagination when it comes to shiny & pretty things.
Walt:

This statement has a lot to do with popularity and sales!

But the truth is that colors, action, speed, size all differentiate the skilled from the lucky and confidence dramatically affects presentation.

That being said, there are still way too many patterns being sold by myself and others. That's not the fish's fault nor the manufacturer's. It's the Fisherperson's fault.
Reel Delight (Walt)

Yes but I like to have a large selection of different colors and patterns because it gives me something to think about when I try to make a choice. Plus it drive some of my fishing partners crazy, especially when I am catching and they are not. One of them will go nuts trying to match what I have on my line and it is even more fun when he makes a match and I still am the lucky fisherman. It drives him crazy and I love it!

Oh it is so much fun when I tell him I found a new secret lure and can't wait to see it. I would never lie about a thing like that... LOL
Retired & ready to fish!