Catfish

Share info on fishing Champlain.
easilyamused
Species: any and all

Catfish

Post by easilyamused »

Anyone out there know what species of catfish are in Champlain? There are three species (to my knowing) of catfish - Channels, Flatheads and Blues. I'm curious what's in our lake for catfish.

Matt
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Re: Catfish

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hey Matt; I tkink there is also a "Stonecat"!
KEN K.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I think just the channel cats are in Champlain.
Here's a list from '06: http://www.lcbp.org/factsht/FishSpeciesList.pdf

Spoonbills are cool cats but they're not here:

Found an article to read: http://www.richz.com/fishing/articles/tomcat.html

I don't think the Stonecat is in Champlain, but is listed as Endangered in the Champlain Basin.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Boatless in BTV
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Boatless in BTV »

Don't forget about bullhead. While they might not be on the scale of other cats, there are at least two species in Champlain.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Raz wrote:I think just the channel cats are in Champlain.
Here's a list from '06: http://www.lcbp.org/factsht/FishSpeciesList.pdf

Spoonbills are cool cats but they're not here:

Found an article to read: http://www.richz.com/fishing/articles/tomcat.html

I don't think the Stonecat is in Champlain, but is listed as Endangered in the Champlain Basin.
I think I saw a show about people fishing for them. Not really fishing, they were snagging them off bottom with huge treble hooks! Cool looking fish.
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Looking at the book "Fishes of Vermont" "The stonecat occurs from the Champlain and St. Lawrence drainages in Vermont and southern Quebec."
Also says " In Vermont this species has only been reported from the La Platte river and Hungerford Brook in Franklin County." I have fished the La Platte alot for many years and can say I don't think I've mistaken them for a bullhead. It also says " Average size is 6-8 inches with maximum reported at 12 inches and 1.1 pounds. La Platte River specimens are smaller, generally 3-5 inches. Maximum age appears to be 8-10 years." It is listed as endangered as Raz stated. Also "The small stonecat populations in Vermont rest on the eastern edge of the species' range."
KEN K.
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Channel cats, stone cats, Yellow, brown and black bullhead. No blues or flats in Champlain
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

riverrunner wrote:Channel cats, stone cats, Yellow, brown and black bullhead. No blues or flats in Champlain

I have recently taken a very deep interest in CATFISH. Flatheads require more of a river or flow situation. I am sure that they might be able to survive in Champlain but they are not native to LC. Blues are also not native but could very easily survive, if stocked.

Stone cats are bait and not reasonable members of this elite family.

That leaves only Channel Cats. I could be wrong, but I have also spent some time checking out the old forum on Cats and I believe you have a WORLD CLASS population of Channels. Yes world class!!!

My son and I went trolling for Channel Cats, (CC), this past summer in GEIST RESERVOIR, in southern Indiana, with a guide, Tom Hankins. He was fantastic!

Our best action occurred from 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. 80+ degrees, full sun and yes trolling approximately .4mph with a Minn-Kota auto pilot. 6 Rods off the back of the boat all on side planners designed for this type of fishing. 5/0 circle hooks, all fish lip hooked. The fight of these CC was awesome and the biggest was only 11 pounds. Bait = chunks of crappies and/or shad.

It's late but I'll pick up here tomorrow with a picture and more thoughts.

If you are ever in Indianapolis, IN Give Tom Hankins a call or visit his website at
http://www.hoosiercrappieandcatfishguideservice.com.

The trolling bobbers can be found on his site or at

http://www.planerbobber.com
Last edited by tamiron on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

Lake Champlain has catfish up to 20 lbs and more - big strong fish. I have only targted them once and they are a strong fish. The biggest we caught that night was 8 lbs.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Check my completed post above. I have joined several catfish forums and will share more from them from time to time. The points to remember are that daytime is a pretty good time for CCs. I honestly don't know which is better but nights have their own special problems and benefits. It's nice to know that by slowing down and changing the bait you can catch them trolling !!! Champlain Fisher isn't the only one who has experienced big cats in Champlain and apparently there a lot of them.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

In the Midwest, Fisheries Departments actually raise and stock Catfish!! There are tons of tournaments (every week) and the guys share everything but location. It's really amazing!

The battles are great, they taste good, not a lot of sophistication is required to get a bunch for the table, but you really need to know your stuff to win these tournaments which are all catch and release!

The circle hooks cause most, if not all fish to be hooked in the lips. A fish gripper and/or Boga type grip/scale along with needle nose pliars appear to be all you need. The 3/0 to 7/0 circle hooks are lifted continuously during the hook set to put the hook into the lips.

Bait is cut fish for all larger cats with almost anything for smaller ones. Their diet and preference seems to change as they get bigger. Trolling takes you to the big ones instead of waiting for them to come to you. If CC are in the area they won't take long to hit. A lot of guys around here believe in a 15 minute rule. Change locations after that. If you insist on staying in the same place, then keep altering depths.

Do the opposite of the above and you will define the way I used to fish for them (and the way everybody I knew fished for them). But this is another one of those things where everybody was wrong! We are creatures of habit. If you think inside of the box, then, guess what? ... that's where you will stay!
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Back in the '60's, one of my older brothers came home with a Catfish whose head was bigger than mine. Scared the hell out of me. I was 10 yrs. old. He says it was 35lbs. and was caught off Georgia shore near Mill River. Chunks of liver works real good. Never had luck during the daylight. The Missisquoi River just down from the Swanton Dam used to be good for big Cats, until the village installed a new sewer plant. The slaughterhouse used to dump straight into the river and so did everyone else. Not good for swimming, but the Cats loved it.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

fishmaster176 wrote:Back in the '60's, one of my older brothers came home with a Catfish whose head was bigger than mine. Scared the hell out of me. I was 10 yrs. old. He says it was 35lbs. and was caught off Georgia shore near Mill River. Chunks of liver works real good. Never had luck during the daylight. The Missisquoi River just down from the Swanton Dam used to be good for big Cats, until the village installed a new sewer plant. The slaughterhouse used to dump straight into the river and so did everyone else. Not good for swimming, but the Cats loved it.
FM:

What you describe is the first 66 and 1/2 years of my life.

But, now, believe me they don't need sewage or anything but other fish to get that big. They are a great predator and yes they will still hit chicken livers etc. but fresh cut bait during the day will amaze most people. Live bait works well also.

Here they use whole sunfish to catch "big" flatheads, blues and channel cats. That's why I am so sure that Champlain will prove to be the same. When Catfish are young they seem to prefer "stink" but as they get older, their diet seems to change more to forage fish including baby bullheads !!!!!!!!!!