Level wind reels

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Level wind reels

Post by Themug »

Hey everyone, I've got a couple of downrigger rods that I need to find reels for. Looking for any advice or recommendations on what kind of level wind reel I should get. Not looking to spend a lot of money but don't want to buy a hunk of junk either. I would certainly consider a used reel if anyone has an extra one or 2 they'd be willing to part with. Thanks in advance for any advice!!! Happy fishing!
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Re: Level wind reels

Post by champlain fisher »

I have Okuma magda pro series reels with line counters on all my downrigger rods. I have had most of them for 5 years or more now and have had no problems with them. They will run 50 bucks a piece right now. Gander Mountion carries them.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Most of mine are Daiwa 27lc Accudepth. Great reels for the price, also about 50 bucks.

Image[/url]
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Raz wrote:Most of mine are Daiwa 27lc Accudepth. Great reels for the price, also about 50 bucks.

Image[/url]
I am with Raz, I have 6 of theese myself, great value for the money.
Todd
Todd
pete
Species: salmon.steelhead,laketrout,bro

Post by pete »

I like the Okuma dx20 for downrigger and dx30 for leadcore and slide divers. Classic out fitters has the dx20 in stock or did but not the 30.
On The Job (mike)
Species: all varieties

Post by On The Job (mike) »

I also use the diawa 27lc.On two of my lighter rods I use the17lc.Have had good luck with both.
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Post by Themug »

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I picked up an Okuma 15DX this weekend and will probably outfit the other rod with a Diawa. Can't wait to try them!!!
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I have previously owned Okuma line counter reels and now I have some Cabela's Depth Master reels as well as Shimano Tekota CL 300 line counter reels. I must say that if I were to purchase a new reel today, I would purchase another Cabela's DepthMaster Gold line counter. My Shimano Tekota 300s are smooth as "Swiss watch" but they do not have the drag system that the DepthMaster Gold reels have. I have a feeling that the DepthMaster reels are possibly manufactured by Okuma but they really out perform the Okuma Convector reels that I have used in the past The standard Cabela's Depthmaster reels are somewhat compared to the Convector reels while the DepthMaster Gold linecounters for $100 are superb in my opinion. I have been using a couple of the DepthMaster Golds for close to ten years without a single problem.

Just my opinion and 2 cents worth..
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"