new building

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Thorny

Re: new building

Post by Thorny »

Jk47
I was at the meeting. I think that saying opposition was heavy is an overstatement. I think there was coordinated opposition by a handful of local residents. But this was a meeting for local residents. There is always opposition for any project that benefits the greater good if it means it's in your back yard. I think the State already knows it has the full support of it's Fishing and Boating constituents for the acquisition and improvement of this access. Let's hope the state keeps their eye on the prize and follows through with this needed access.
Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
JK47
Species: All Species

Post by JK47 »

Thanks for the insight Thorny!

I'm really torn over this happening. If the launch turns into mallets bay it will prevent me from using it.

I live right between the mb launch and apple launch. I've launched from apple over 35 times this year and only twice from mb as a result of the idiots who use the mb launch.

I do understand the need for access. Just trying to understand how it could support free public use due to the size. Only 1 boat can launch at a time.
vthunter79
Species: whatever is biting

Post by vthunter79 »

I believe the "building" you see going up is a porta-let shelter......the state is building several along Rte. 2.

One is almost complete at A&B beverage.....there's another slated for construction in South Hero.

Does this RFP describe what's being constructed?? I haven't been by yet.

http://www.vermontbidsystem.com/BidPrev ... BidID=8205
JK47
Species: All Species

Post by JK47 »

vthunter79 wrote:I believe the "building" you see going up is a porta-let shelter......the state is building several along Rte. 2.

One is almost complete at A&B beverage.....there's another slated for construction in South Hero.

Does this RFP describe what's being constructed?? I haven't been by yet.

http://www.vermontbidsystem.com/BidPrev ... BidID=8205

It sounds like a match. Thanks for the info!!
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

The only way to not turn the Apple Island launch into another Malletts Bay is to make a "Fishing Only" access. That's the way all of the F&G accesses used to be, until the politicians all bought big boats and realized they didn't have a place to launch. So, they took ours. Our licenses paid for the original launches, but F&G wnet to the legislature for funding for improvements. They got the money, but we lost "Fishing Only" access. Maybe limit boat size. No sailboats. Not trying to pick on a certain group, just thinking out loud. For me, that's not always a good thing.