Update request on the Thorny C-Hawk

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Update request on the Thorny C-Hawk

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Ok Rob. Everyone is curious how the transformation is coming? Is the metal fabrication work completed?

Photo's of the progress? :mrgreen:

When is the launch date?

R
Thorny

Re: Update request on the Thorny C-Hawk

Post by Thorny »

Ron
You sound as impatient as I am! First my wife wants you to know that it is not Thorny's Chawk, it's the Cathy-Jean. She is cleaned. She is polished. She is rewired with 2 new batteries a 3 way switch and a fused bus. The 9.9 is hung on the power panther lift and rigged with the control king and connecting rod. Radio, sonar, iPad and depth raider are in and ready.

The new canvas(side curtains and 3 panel backdrop) is installed by Dennis at VT Cusom Canvas on the Georga Shore Rd. If you want a great canvas made by a very experienced craftsman who really cares about making a quality product. Dennis is the man. He used a rubber border to seal the canvas next to the boat so the weather could not blow through! The rear panels are all individual so you can take one off at a time. The middle one is designed to open like a door and snap secure inside the boat instead of rolling up! This works great!

She is now at the machine shop having some custom aluminum risers made for the rear gunwales. Then she comes home and gets dressed up with toys.

She will be making another trip back to VT Custom Canvas. After talking to Dennis about the rocket launcher for the hard top. He wanted to design it and custom bend the Aluminum for the rails.

I still have to install a new bilge pump(oddly enough it did not have one). I am also converting a rear compartment to a live well with a valve on the pump to convert it to a wash down pump for the deck.

She has come a ways but she still has a ways to go. If all goes well she should be christened in about 2 weeks! Sorry no pics I am in PA visiting my folks.

I hope this satisfies you for now :lol:
Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Sounds like progress Rob. Nice to have your wife pitch in and help with some of the duties.

Thanks for the update! :mrgreen:
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

Thanks for the update Rob. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Can't wait for the shootout.. When is our 1st Shakedown Cruise??
Matt B
Hawkeye
Species: salmon

Post by Hawkeye »

Thorny sounds great ...........you really know how to make a guy jealous! cant wait to see it, and fish on it!

Bob
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Okay I don't think that we will see too many photos or hear too much info on the Cathy-Jean until after it's shake down cruise and that re-done C Hawk is out catching Silvers. If you ask me... Rob is just out to keep everyone in suspense until when he can make us all drool over his new ride.

I am sure the Cathy-Jean is going to be some of the pride and talk of the fleet!
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
CaptSpike
Species: all

Post by CaptSpike »

Thorny just some advice on the washdown/livewell pump. I looked at many and used many and not many will do the job for both applications. Shurflow makes a good one that works for both but where I used it in the salt I only got about 2yrs before I had problems with it. Also when using it for livewell app it pulled a lot of juice off the battery. More than once I needed a jump to get my boat started after running the pump all day when tuna fishing....... I ended up going with two pumps, one for each. I didn't want to add another hole in the boat so I just T'd off the thru hull and fed each pump. This worked fine as I rarely used both at the same time and generally the washdown was just a short use for cleaning up some dropped herring guts. After that it got used on the way in for a preliminary wash and by then the livewell was empty and not in use. Anyway I bought a Shurflo sentry pump for the live well (not strong enough for a washdown pump, but low amp draw and high volume pump) http://www.livebaitlarry.com/index.php? ... x&cPath=28 and it worked great under some pretty tough conditions (salt environment, running all day to keep bait alive both bass and tuna fishing).

Good luck with what ever you choose.
Spike