Releases when using 40 lb mono for spiders

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Papatom
Species: Salmon

Releases when using 40 lb mono for spiders

Post by Papatom »

I use blacks releases, but with 40 lb mono (for fleas) they dont release very well even when i set them for 3 lb release pressure. Probably line stretch I guess and blow back. If i run 2 to 2.5 mph at ball 70 ft down with 10 lb ball i usually have to bring ball up and release by hand the reel lure in. Pain in the butt.
Any suggestions. Thanks
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Re: Releases when using 40 lb mono for spiders

Post by cpmaple »

I run black releases also never have a problem with them. Hope reelax see this post he pointed me toward black releases an could not be more happy. Mine are always set on the very light side. Know this is no help
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Papatom wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:11 am I use blacks releases, but with 40 lb mono (for fleas) they dont release very well even when i set them for 3 lb release pressure. Probably line stretch I guess and blow back. If i run 2 to 2.5 mph at ball 70 ft down with 10 lb ball i usually have to bring ball up and release by hand the reel lure in. Pain in the butt.
Any suggestions. Thanks
They should still release the same if a fish bites, releasing them from above is another story. We tighten our drags down, reel in as much slack as we can then pop em. On a good note, we fished with 12lb main line last weekend and had very little problems with fleas. Good luck!!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Never had to crank down the blacks so much they never released. Cranking down as tight as possible before the release pull is very important like dry net said. Weeds can also make it hard to get a solid release. I also use flourocarbon line all the way from real seat to lure when not running 30lb for fleas. The lack of line stretch with flour helps with releases when running deep and also setting the hook better.

Not sure if this helped, good luck!

Thanks for the post.
Matt B
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Loosen them suckers
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Play'n Hookey
Species: Lake Trout Salmon Walleye

Post by Play'n Hookey »

I am running blacks as well with good results ( 7 good lakers this Monday ) . I am running about 20 ft of fluorocarbon leader barrel swiveled to my main line taking 6 twists at the release ,cranking down on a medium drag . Hope this helps . Tight lines and twitching releases !