Good Day of Laker Fishing

Share info on fishing Champlain.
MattSmo
Species: Atlantic Salmon / Lake Trout

Good Day of Laker Fishing

Post by MattSmo »

Check out this video I made where my dad and I had a pretty good day of laker fishing. We were trolling about 2.5 mph with spin doctors and spoons on divers and riggers. We were targeting salmon and ended up with lakers. It makes me wonder wrong location or wrong technique? Check it out and let me know what you think!
Tight Lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SygBOCDfI
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Re: Good Day of Laker Fishing

Post by ReelInvestment »

Nice video! As for the salmon I’m not sure of anyone that uses spin doctors for salmon on Champlain. Mostly small spoons. Most of us who have “paddles” like spin doctors and pro trolls don’t take them out until we are targeting king salmon on Lake Ontario. Try some crazy ivan spoons, speedy shiners, needlefish and others in the 2.5-3” range for our Champlain salmon…Good luck out there!
rfern77
Species: Bass/lake trout

Post by rfern77 »

Awesome video, when did you guys go and how were the fleas?
MattSmo

Post by MattSmo »

ReelInvestment wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:36 am Nice video! As for the salmon I’m not sure of anyone that uses spin doctors for salmon on Champlain. Mostly small spoons. Most of us who have “paddles” like spin doctors and pro trolls don’t take them out until we are targeting king salmon on Lake Ontario. Try some crazy ivan spoons, speedy shiners, needlefish and others in the 2.5-3” range for our Champlain salmon…Good luck out there!
Thanks! So I thought exactly the same thing I have caught salmon usually using smaller stinger spoons or mooselook wobblers, but I saw a YouTube video where these charters guys on Champlain were trolling fast with flashers and they were crushing salmon! I had to use the King gear and give it a try. Any how it works great on Lakers :lol: . Thanks for the reply!
MattSmo

Post by MattSmo »

rfern77 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:47 pm Awesome video, when did you guys go and how were the fleas?
Thanks! That was June 12th I am a bit behind on editing. I will have another Champlain video out soon where we fished the same technique on 7/1. The fleas were pretty bad. Coming from Ontario the last 3 weekends Champlain fleas were way worse, huge globs all on the lines. Even getting on the downrigger cable.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great video, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!!!

It is a challenging time of year for a salmon bite, but they are there and Sept is “big salmon” month so it is still worth the try.

Lately the problem is keeping the lakers off long enough to get a salmon strike.

Really look forward to more videos and reports.
You guys have a great looking custom trolling setup!!! What kind of boat is that?? It looks very comfortable!

Fish on!
Matt B
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

Matt,

seeing the interior, I'd bet it's a SeaRay about 23 footer.

Michael
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Sea Ray Navy! Drachma is on it!
MattSmo

Post by MattSmo »

Reelax wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:03 pm Great video, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!!!

It is a challenging time of year for a salmon bite, but they are there and Sept is “big salmon” month so it is still worth the try.

Lately the problem is keeping the lakers off long enough to get a salmon strike.

Really look forward to more videos and reports.
You guys have a great looking custom trolling setup!!! What kind of boat is that?? It looks very comfortable!

Fish on!
This was filmed in June... I'm super behind on editing unfortunately. I'm spending way more time chasing fish :lol:. Thanks I have another video which should be out soonish and hoping to get back on Champlain soon. Been hitting Ontario a bunch.

The Boat is a 2005 Sea Ray Sundeck. We did a lot of tweaking but we got it nearly perfect for fishing. The best part is that wooden platform has zero screws into the boat. All fishing gear can come off in under 5 minutes and we're pleasure cruising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lE5K-vv9nw&t=2s
MattSmo

Post by MattSmo »

drachma wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:03 am Matt,

seeing the interior, I'd bet it's a SeaRay about 23 footer.

Michael
2005 SeaRay Sundeck 220 (23.5') Nailed it!
Attachments
20210806_063035.jpg
20210806_063035.jpg (149.78 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
MattSmo

Post by MattSmo »

I know this is LONG overdue, but I said I had a second video and I finally uploaded it to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4iuVGg4sa0

Pretty similar to the previous video. The salmon were still evading us, but it was a good day of laker fishing. We were trolling about 2.5 mph with spin doctors and spoons on divers and riggers. Check it out and let me know what you think!
Tight Lines.