Juniper Island

Share info on fishing Champlain.
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Juniper Island

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Some plans with my wife and her friends brings me to Juniper Island Saturday afternoon and evening. I have never fished around it. I was planning to give it a try for trout or salmon. I was planning on setting my riggers at 70 ft with cowbells on the ball and stacked releases and spoons for lakers and salmon. Then, troll around the island in waters 70 -140 ft deep. Its my first year cold water fishing. I have slowly accumulated gear the last 2 years, but the Fish-Hawk has not been in the budget yet for fear I would need to find a divorce attorney after getting the downriggers, trolling rods and reels ect.. this year.. Anyone fish that area before and is this a good plan? Any C-Hawk advice?
FishPole Thinking
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Juniper Island

Post by Reelax »

Controlled Caos loves that exact area...what you said should provide lakers, maybe some salmon and even a sheepshead or 2 this time of year :shock:

If you hook a sheep’s head put her in neutral
And get ready for a hell of a battle in deep water :o

We have landed 2 like that and it is a fight you won’t soon forget:)

Good luck
Matt B
AmFishFil Thinking

Thanks. We are ready for battle. lol
FishPole Thinking
Mike8484
Species: Trout

Post by Mike8484 »

Reelax-What's the perferred bait/lure/method for hooking up to a Sheepshead? That's a species I've never tangled with an would love to get on one.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Mike8484 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:31 am Reelax-What's the perferred bait/lure/method for hooking up to a Sheepshead? That's a species I've never tangled with an would love to get on one.
Night crawler on a jig head in warm water.

But, I've had them hit salmon and laker spoons out of nowhere in the cold water habitat. I think that's what Reelax was talking about. Happened to us twice.

Spinner baits, swim baits, those fish eat everything. Try muddy rivers, or bass habitat.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Mike8484
Species: Trout

Post by Mike8484 »

AmFishFil Thinking wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:54 pm Some plans with my wife and her friends brings me to Juniper Island Saturday afternoon and evening. I have never fished around it. I was planning to give it a try for trout or salmon. I was planning on setting my riggers at 70 ft with cowbells on the ball and stacked releases and spoons for lakers and salmon. Then, troll around the island in waters 70 -140 ft deep. Its my first year cold water fishing. I have slowly accumulated gear the last 2 years, but the Fish-Hawk has not been in the budget yet for fear I would need to find a divorce attorney after getting the downriggers, trolling rods and reels ect.. this year.. Anyone fish that area before and is this a good plan? Any C-Hawk advice?
So how did you all end up doing out there?
AmFishFil Thinking

We were marking quite a bit of bait from 50 ft to bottom and lots of fish marked on the bottom. We trolled around for 2 hours and had no hits. We talked to another boat in a Trophy trolling there too and they they caught some lake Trout and a salmon. They gave us some advice, but we still did not have the magic.
FishPole Thinking