Bass

Share info on fishing Champlain.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Bass

Post by striper192001 »

I have relatives coming up in a couple weeks and I am hoping to get some ideas about where to go for bass. Launching at Converse or Shelburne bay. I am certainly not looking for your gps spots......just some guidance on where to go........some lily pads.... some ledges to throw divers for smallies......

Thanks in advance........John
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Re: Bass

Post by voyager »

Watch the highlights from this weekend’s Bassmaster tournament and you should be able to pick up on tactics to use.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Largemouth in the weeds, smallmouth are a little deeper now I think, before and around the first drop-off, off rocky points, etc.
Soft plastics are effective BUT I kind of hate them now and don't use them, since I think they a. don't biodegrade in the lake and b. don't biodegrade in the fish's stomach.
Bass are everywhere. Personally I think further north or south may be better than Converse or Shelburne, but I've never bass fished there, really.
Find some structure - rocks, weeds, docks, anything - make some casts with some crankbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, spoons...someone will get a bass.
Have you considered trolling (even flat-lining with no gear)? Fun for beginners, you'll definitely pick up bass, pike, many other species. Good luck.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Thanks doc.........I appreciate the help. I may do some trolling but this crew likes to cast........

Thanks again,

John
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

If you go out of Shelburne, One of the top finishers in the Bassmasters tournament spent a lot of time off Shelburne point and caught them pretty good. Senko, Rapalas, and drop shot rigs should work well in that area.