AUTOPILOT

Share info on fishing Champlain.
edthehook
Species: SALMON

AUTOPILOT

Post by edthehook »

Looking to install an autopilot on a Starcraft Islander, 21', with HYDRAULIC steering. Would appreciate any suggestions based on your experience, re brand, source, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: AUTOPILOT

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I have a Simard AC12 Autopilot computer running with my hydraulic steering. It was connected to an AP24 control head which I just removed and now using a Simrad GO7 screen.
I have friends using Lowrance Autopilots and Garmin Autopilots and they are happy with them too.
Whichever system you get, you will also need to install an hydraulic pump and hydraulic cables connected to your steering.
I suggest you get one which is compatible and can be networked with your existing fish finder.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

I have owned both the Lowrance and the Raymarine and they both work well. The feature I like best about the Raynarine is their control head with the rotary knob for adjusting the heading. Very easy . This is helpful in the wind when you are fishing solo or when everyone has a fish on . If you intend to use the auto pilot to navigate between waypoints or along a route you will have to match the brand of the pilot with that of your MFD.
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I think your boat might have too much freeboard, and maybe no access to the bow, but, if not, you might want to look into an electric bow mount.

I was thinking of doing an autopilot for my Bayliner trophy 2002, but, after running a Garmin Force on our other boat, I'm waiting for them to build one of those with an extra long shaft.

Integrates with our fishfinder, create courses, remote control gesture steering, (point where you want the boat to go), mark waypoints on sidescan and navigate to, and of course the GPS "anchor". A bunch more stuff too. Incredibly powerful, even more incredibly efficient. Just a really great unit.

You can set your kicker or main motor to whatever speed you want, electric just steers, while the kicker charges the battery.

I'm pretty sure humminbird makes an extra long one for boats like mine, but, I've already got Garmin electronics.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack