First time for lakers in Converse - what am I doing wrong?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
pnutbutter
Species: Trout

First time for lakers in Converse - what am I doing wrong?

Post by pnutbutter »

This morning was my first time trolling for lakers. I didn't catch any! Is there something I'm doing wrong or was this just bad luck?

I went out of Converse Bay. I trolled mostly along the drop off on the west end of the bay between the big island (to the south) and the very small island (to the north). Depth of water ranged from 40 feet to 100 feet. I wasn't seeing many fish on the sonar but the ones I did see were suspended around 30 feet down so that's where I had my downrigger. I trolled between 1.8 and 2.0 mph. I was running a silver flasher with a white and purple spoon. Time fishing was about 7:00-9:00.

What do all you experts think? Was I on the right track or do I have the wrong idea?
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: First time for lakers in Converse - what am I doing wrong?

Post by Crayfish »

The bigger lakers are typically hugging bottom, so you can't always see them on the sonar. Try 50-70' of water with your rigger set 5-10' off bottom. The flasher / spoon should work fine and your speed was good, as long as the lure had enough action at that speed. I usually troll around 2.0mph when targeting lakers. Good luck!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Also try some of the humps on bottom to the north from there in 60-90fow like Crayfish said..

The area you fished can get you lakers, just not as big of numbers as you can do close by on sandy bottom humps after the thermocline sets up..

Good luck and let us know how ya make out...
Matt B
pnutbutter

Post by pnutbutter »

Thanks, Reelax and Crayfish. It's great to get some feedback - when I'm catching fish I know I'm doing things right, but when I'm not it's hard to know why. I'll try that 50-70 foot range with my lure closer to the bottom.

Reelax, I see some humps 60-90 feet deep just a little outside the bay to the north, looks like there's an underwater plateau. Is that the area you're thinking of?

I'll be sure to post how things turn out the next time I'm on the water.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

pnutbutter wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:50 pm Thanks, Reelax and Crayfish. It's great to get some feedback - when I'm catching fish I know I'm doing things right, but when I'm not it's hard to know why. I'll try that 50-70 foot range with my lure closer to the bottom.

Reelax, I see some humps 60-90 feet deep just a little outside the bay to the north, looks like there's an underwater plateau. Is that the area you're thinking of?

I'll be sure to post how things turn out the next time I'm on the water.

Yes, that is the area I am referring to.... BIg lakers will stage on bottom in the summer in 60-110 fow . That is why banging bottom works sooo good as your irritating them in a reaction bite...

We used to run 4 riggers with inline cow bells and j9 rapalas in blue and fire tiger back in the
Late 80’, and 90’s. You can do 60 laker days with a 😓2man crew when your on the right hump. The north west side of skyler island was one of the best areas to hunt em back then...

Looking forward to your reports...

Fish on!
Matt B
Fishracker17
Species: Trout/salmon

Post by Fishracker17 »

I personally see alot wrong, my last 2 trips out of wilsboro I took 30+ fish a trip! I fished 30-150ft with the 45-75ft break lines being the best, I used big jon deeper divers on 80, 90,100 and 110ft sets with a 9ft leader to a Michigan stinger scorpion or dreamweaver wd, I ran 2 riggers staggered with cheaters, my speed varied but was between 2.1-2.9mph I ran mostly bright colors with hot orange, pink and chartreuse being best, then the uv spoons were hot, and wonder bread was hottt!!! I can post pictures of spoons tomorrow when I'm in the boat, make sure when your trolling you do some zig zag turns or quick bumps in speed, trout will follow a lure forever if you just run straight and stay stagnant!! Think outside the box brotha also I took plenty of fish, fishing the top 35ft
Mike8484

Post by Mike8484 »

Any updates on this? This is my first season on Champlain jigging for lakers. Any tips/suggestions are much appreciated. I've had some success out of Converse but that is about it. I've had no success with lakers going out of other launches.