Safety First...and some fun stuff

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Mike8484
Species: Trout

Safety First...and some fun stuff

Post by Mike8484 »

Hi all! I am curious what sort of safety must have's you all have on your boat. I am building a list of essential safety items and then some nice to have safety items. Also curious if you all have some items that while not be safety related sure do make boating/fishing a lot easier. A good example is are these jaw bungees that are good for securing just about anything. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JP8LYG1/?c ... _lig_dp_it I will occasionally have kids on board so anything kid related would be great. Thanks in advance.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Safety First...and some fun stuff

Post by Crayfish »

Besides all of the normal safety equipment (life preservers, a throwable cushion, fire extinguisher, etc), a VHF radio can also be a life saver. I also carry a spare boat plug, plus spare spark plugs and tools. The spark plugs and tools are especially important with an older 2 stroke, like my 1983 90hp Yamaha. About once a year it will foul the plugs enough that it will stall every time I try to put it in gear. Have changed the plugs out on the water once or twice. That's when the kicker motor gives me extra piece of mind!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Wasp spray. I had accidentally left a can in the boat two years ago and when I went the first time this year , boy was I glad I still had it. The damn things made a nest in my Buddy Heater and came to life a mile from shore.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

I always carry a rescue throw bag at the helm. It's a kayaking habit and I like to have it nearby. I've only needed it twice in 20 years from Serenity, but the recipients were grateful! I also crew sailboats when racing, and I gifted one to captain this spring after I went over the rail (but held the safety line last summer in BOMB conditions) . Something like this: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/fox-40- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Mike8484

Post by Mike8484 »

C-Hawk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:45 pm Wasp spray. I had accidentally left a can in the boat two years ago and when I went the first time this year , boy was I glad I still had it. The damn things made a nest in my Buddy Heater and came to life a mile from shore.
Now that, is something I would have never thought of! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

One new item I carry is a portable li-ion jump box. About 2 lbs and will jump the boat over 20 times and will run an iPad all day long... a drift bag is always a good idea. If you loose power in big wind a drift bag over the bow will keep your nose to the wind and your boat right side up.. :shock:

Great thread to have in the early season...
Matt B
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Bad things can happen very fast on the water and contacting the USCG as fast as possible is essential. Fumbling around with a cell phone to get their number can waste valuable time. Have a VHF Marine Radio, either Handheld or Fixed Mount on the boat to call for assistance on either Channel 09 or 16. Monitored by USCG Burlington 24/7.
I carry a tow line which can come in handy
Bill
"POINTER"
Mike8484

Post by Mike8484 »

popster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:48 am Bad things can happen very fast on the water and contacting the USCG as fast as possible is essential. Fumbling around with a cell phone to get their number can waste valuable time. Have a VHF Marine Radio, either Handheld or Fixed Mount on the boat to call for assistance on either Channel 09 or 16. Monitored by USCG Burlington 24/7.
Both of those are great ideas. I have been looking around at a handheld radio with gps capability. Any recommendations on brand/model? A tow rope is another great thing to have. I appreciate your suggestions.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Mike8484 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 am
popster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:48 am Bad things can happen very fast on the water and contacting the USCG as fast as possible is essential. Fumbling around with a cell phone to get their number can waste valuable time. Have a VHF Marine Radio, either Handheld or Fixed Mount on the boat to call for assistance on either Channel 09 or 16. Monitored by USCG Burlington 24/7.
Both of those are great ideas. I have been looking around at a handheld radio with gps capability. Any recommendations on brand/model? A tow rope is another great thing to have. I appreciate your suggestions.
I wouldn't even fool around with a handheld radio on your boat. Handheld radios are limited to 6 watts Max by the fcc I think, where the fixed mount radios are 25 watts Max.

I have 2 fixed mounts, 1 new one with a 3' metal Shakespeare antenna, and one that's almost 30 years old with a messed up LCD, but has an 8' fiberglass antenna. I also have a handheld. The handheld has a sending range of a couple of miles, and most times people can't understand me. Distant third place in usefulness of the three.

Second place is the new one with the short antenna. Believe it or not, the 30 year old one has the best range. Probably because of the 8' antenna. The bigger the antenna, the greater the range. A handheld radio would work the best standing up, holding it vertically in front of your mouth. Even then, it's only about 5-6' off of the water (probably equivalent to a 3' gunwale mount antenna height), with less than 25% of the power of a fixed mount.

If you're going to fish in the winter with us (which you should), I'd get a fixed mount radio with an 8' antenna. I only went with the 3 footer on Strike Three because it's a casting and jigging boat, not a trolling boat, and an 8' might get in the way. But more importantly, that thing does not get run in the winter.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Matt.........can you share which li-ion jump box you have.....?
Reelax wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:15 pm One new item I carry is a portable li-ion jump box. About 2 lbs and will jump the boat over 20 times and will run an iPad all day long... a drift bag is always a good idea. If you loose power in big wind a drift bag over the bow will keep your nose to the wind and your boat right side up.. :shock:

Great thread to have in the early season...