Kids Derby in 2022?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Kids Derby in 2022?

Post by Greenhorn »

A few teams in the DYP will be fishing as family teams this year. There are some avid young anglers that share their adventures on this forum, and will be fishing on these teams because of Covid and to allow them to fish in a derby without sending them off with a stranger. Keeping them interested is in all of our best interests. The idea was brought up about having a separate derby for kids next year (2022).I want to run this by the form members to see if there is any interest. Here are some questions to consider if we think there is enough interest in a kids derby:

- What would a minimum number of kids be to make a derby worth the effort? (8 or 10?, other number?)
- What would the age limit be? (I'm thinking a kid would be under 16 years old at the date of the derby.)
- What species of fish would the kids be fishing for? (Same as the DYP, most species, lakers (because they are likely to catch more, other?)
- What would the award(s) be? (plaque, trophy, fishing gear, something for every entrant or just for the winner?)
- Do we want to ask for volunteers to bring kids out that don't have access to a boat?
- Ideas for a date?

Fun topic to consider.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Kids Derby in 2022?

Post by Dilly Worm »

sounds like a great idea and we'd be interested, thanks !

16 yo age limit makes sense, thats when they need to get a fishing license in VT (not sure, we have a few years to go)

a multi-species event would be fun so the kids all have a better chance of catching something that counts

fishing gear (lures) are great prizes.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Great idea, though I wonder how many kids would participate. Those kids represented on the site carve a wide geographic swath. Unless we have 8-10 willing to come to a single site, it probably doesn't make sense, unless we make it a ZOOM virtual tournament. I'd support under 16 (no license necessary), and I'd like to support volunteer boats so the kid (and a parent or guardian) have access. It should include at least lakers and salmon, but I'd be open to all species. If run in June, we'd have ample panfish, carp, bowfin and sheepies too! Awards? We can get some Frostbite gear from Randy and gear makes good prizes.
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Great idea. Our son (10) would be in. I'm sure I could get another one of his friends so I could have 2 on my boat.
FishPole Thinking
Heartbeat
Species: Salmon

Post by Heartbeat »

Sounds like a great time. My grandson/daughter would love it.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I've got a couple of boys who would be in for sure obviously. They each bring friends too if we needed numbers.

I'm starting a fishing team next fall at Vergennes UHS, we got the green light from the athletic director a couple of weeks ago. According to Brody, there's a whole bunch of kids looking forward to it, talking about it, hyping it up, and sign-ups haven't even happened yet.

I don't know for sure, but, I would bet if it was numbers of kids you guys wanted to sign up, I could probably get all you wanted. Especially if it was free/really cheap to sign up. There is a ton of fishing families in this town, but, relatively few who have boats, and even fewer who fish cold water species. This derby would be like giving them a chance to go on a free private working fishing charter. I'm sure there would be a lot of kids who would jump at the chance.

I like the idea of kid and a parent teams hosted by lcu guys. Another way to boost kid numbers if it were needed, would be experienced fishing kid brings inexperienced fishing kid/friend in addition to their adult.

As for species to target, I like the cold, cool, warm, model of the LCI, as well as a Panfish category. Lots of chances for different kids to get their name up on a leader board.

For prizes, I agree with the other guys, fishing tackle/gear, and LCU hats shirts, and maybe even a participation sticker. You'd be surprised how much that stuff means to a kid, way more valuable than money in some cases. Liam has worn his Frostbite Fleet hat Randy dropped off at our house last winter every day. In and out of school.

Another way to build enthusiasm, is to encourage the families of the participants to spectate the weigh in, or show up for awards after the derby is over like the dyp pot luck. Kids love ritual.

Everybody I've met here on LCU are great people, and just the fact you guys are considering this derby is proof of that in itself. If you want to grow the interest in this sport, and help secure the future of our fishery, I'd say there's no better way than stuff like this.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

One things to keep in mind if you're involving the school and a team, bringing the kids out would most likely require licensed captains and/or insurance? Just a thought you may want to look in to sooner rather than later.
________
Mike
AmFishFil Thinking

Mike,

I think the thought is children of members of the group fishing in their own parent's boats.

Kevin
FishPole Thinking
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

No, the school wouldn't be involved. Just sort of an easy group of kids to ask if they were interested in doing the derby.

I don't think you need a captains license for that, right? Kids would be on the boat with a guardian, and nobody would be paying passengers.

Jack
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Great discussion and ideas!! I think for the initial kids derby, we are limited by the number of boats that would be available. It seems like kids, grandkids and friends kids of LCU members would be the first candidates. If we can't fill those boats from that pool, Jacks contacts might be a good source.

Mike's suggestion of looking into what might be needed (license, insurance, other) is a good idea and we should do that. I do agree with Kevin that I don't think these things would be needed, but I would like to verify that.

These things take time to plan and I am a planner, so even though this derby is about a year away, I would like to get an idea of how big this might be to start the planning. If you would be interested in participating with a boat or have kids that would be interested in participating, please respond to this thread. I am thinking about late June or mid July derby, but would be interested in your thoughts on an approximate date. I will set the format of the response below.

Greenhorn will participate with a boat.
- I will have 2 grandchildren and a parent aboard (If you don't have kids on your boat, but are willing to participate, just state the maximum number of people you can take on your boat)

Jeff
Ancient Mariner
Species: salmon lake trout walleye

Post by Ancient Mariner »

I would love to participate. I can take one other adult and 2 kids. I'm also a chief instructor with the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Lets Go Fishing program. Let me see if I can get some handouts from that program. We can also set up a kids workshop on fishing.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I like the idea of Lcu family and friends taking priority, and then if there's space, adding other kids. My ideas for adding more kids were just if you needed to fill boat spots with kids. I thought I read somewhere that people were worried about finding kids to participate. But, my reading comprehension has been declining just about as fast as my ability to eat whatever I want and not have consequences as I get older.

The Country Angler can fish 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably.

Depending how it all shakes out, I might have two boats out that day. Brody and Liam actually did their first solo fishing trip with the Country Angler Sunday. I was just about to post a report on that actually. Or maybe those guys would want to fish with one of you guys on your boat without me? If that happens though, watch out for that Liam kid though. He'll instantly commit to memory all of your fishing techniques, spots and secrets, and put them to use at the next possible opportunity. So be careful of what you tell him, and where you take him.

Strike three is only a casting boat, but, if warm/cool water species were allowed, that boat could comfortably take 2 adults, and fish 2 kids.

If this idea does come to fruition, I'd like to help out any way I can. I've been coaching, scout leading, and messing around with my own kids now for as long as they've been around. It's kind of my thing. I bet this will be a great memory for Lcu kids if it pans out.

Jack
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

I would probably participate with my boat, son-in-law, and 6 year old grandson.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
AmFishFil Thinking

I'm in with 2 kids with my boat. My son will be 11 then and my nephew will be 14.
FishPole Thinking
Heijac
Species: All

Post by Heijac »

I think this is a great idea, and I would be in with my boat and granddaughters!