New to the area

Share info on fishing Champlain.
smelt16
Species: Trout, Salmon, Perch

New to the area

Post by smelt16 »

Hello everyone! Just to introduce myself, I'm a student at UVM who will be working up here in Burlington this summer and I'm planning to bring my boat (16' high walled deep V) up this summer to fish the lake when I can. I hope to primarily target lakers and salmon but will also probably fish for perch and warmwater fish a bit too. I was wondering if anyone is aware of a good marina/boat yard/storage facility where I can keep my boat on the trailer? I've been looking at some places near Mallett's and Shelburne bay and I was wondering if these areas are close to lake trout/salmon spots because I like how I'd be able to fish the bays on the days weather isn't cooperating. If I launched at Mallett's bay, would I have to go past the Colchester fills to get into the laker water? Lastly, if anyone has any good safety advice/where to find good wave and weather reports, I would appreciate that as well. I hope I see you all on the water and good luck to this year!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: New to the area

Post by Reelax »

I would suggest Shelburne bay and south for best prices and cold water locations... but that is just MHO...

Glad to hear your gonna give lake Champlain a try... can’t wait to hear about your 1st 6lb salmon that jumps 3 times before you can land him....

Welcome a Aboard... make sure to sign up for the DYP!!!

Fish on!
Matt B
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Malletts - yes, you'd need to break out of the cut in the causeway to get on the main lake. Once in a while you can catch lakers in Outer Malletts but don't count on it. Just beyond can be good for lakers. But you will want to go south for salmon action. You can also go through the Sandbar from Mallets up to the Inland Sea where there can be salmon action, but getting through the Sandbar becomes impossible when the water gets low. Lastly, Malletts can be a zoo in the summer.
In summary, go south to Shelburne and beyond.

Waves and weather:
https://www.windy.com/
https://www.weather.gov/btv/recreation
https://www.wunderground.com/ - Hourly forecast with wind speed and direction
But don't count on anything for weather. Lake Champlain can change from dead calm to dangerous in two minutes flat, seen it many times. Remember the lake is bigger than it looks! Be safe and have fun.
smelt16

Post by smelt16 »

Thank you both, hope to see you out there. This helps me out a ton, I appreciate it.

Reelax, I also look forward to that salmon, I'll be sure to post a report about it after you post a picture of your 10 pounder!

@the_doctor, I've had a hard time finding the wave and weather information so that is huge, thanks again.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I rely heavily on that recreational forecast that The_Doctor posted. You can click on the map in there and get a forecast for exactly where you'd like to fish. It's not always 100%, but it'll give you an idea. Good luck!
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Consider a portable VHF radio. Good to have if you run into trouble plus you can converse with other boats within a considerable distance.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Check out Point Bay Marina in Charlotte. I don't know if they have room, but that's where I keep my boat and it puts you in play for all species! If you get a mooring and need a dinghy, let me know!
smelt16

Post by smelt16 »

I haven't thought to check out the Point bay area let, that's great to know and thank you for the offer with the help for the mooring and dinghy, I'll look into it