DYP announcement

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

DYP announcement

Post by Greenhorn »

This will be a bit of a non-standard year for the DYP. There are still Covid concerns and some of us will be vaccinated and some won't. That makes some of us nervous, but maybe not others. Anyways, I have agreed to allow Detritus (now country angler) to join the DYP with his two boys as a team. They will only fish with two lines to make it equatable for all teams. Jack and his boys are well known to the forum and I feel it quite appropriate to let them join the DYP so the boys can fish as well. This will be a first for the DYP. To make it fair for all, if you are concerned about fishing with someone outside of your household because of Covid, you can join the DYP with a family member that lives in the same house and enter as a team. I don't expect many to chose that route as the main reason for this derby is to meet other fishermen and share a day on the water. Matt, you still have to draw Ben if you want a ride on that new Lund! :D

I welcome any feedback on this issue. Please PM me if you have any comments or concerns.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: DYP announcement

Post by Dilly Worm »

sounds like a great idea and I will probably follow suit w/ and sign up for a family team w/ my daughters

thanks for making that an option this year !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Thanks guys for making the exception this year. I asked the boys if they wanted to participate, and they immediately said yes.

I think there was a bit of a misprint though, we were planning on running 4 rods, as if there was only "2 people" in the boat. Just to try to make it the same as all of the other 2 man DYP teams. Not two lines. But, we'll follow whatever rules of the derby there is. A Scout is Trustworthy, right?

I wouldn't be too scared of us taking home the trophy though. The only trophy We'll be taking home is a 1994 Bayliner Trophy, the way we've been fishing lately.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Given our Covid complications, the exception to allow Detritus and possibly Dilly Worm to compete with their kids seems like a good one. Good thinking, Greenhorn.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Safety and inclusion in a friendly derby sounds like a good thing!

Makes you wonder. There would probably be interest in some sort of kids derby where adults only crew and captain and the kids catch and enter all the fish.... That would be special and each boat could sponser specific kids...
Matt B
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Sorry for the misprint Detritus. Yes, I did mean to say 4 rods for your team.

I hope you enter as a family Dilly Worm. We can't do too much to encourage kids to participate in this type of outdoor activity. This type of hobby/activity is a life long healthy activity.

Reelax, I like you idea as well. It is something we can consider for next year.

Thanks for the reply all, and remind your fishing partners to sign up for the DYP!
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Thanks Greenhorn for taking a Great Champlain derby by the Horns so to speak!

Your flexible change to work with Covid is a nice way to keep this Great Fun Derby going and giving everybody some normalcy .

Hopefully we can again have a Frostbite Shootout.

Randy
Fish On!
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Reelax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:42 am Safety and inclusion in a friendly derby sounds like a good thing!

Makes you wonder. There would probably be interest in some sort of kids derby where adults only crew and captain and the kids catch and enter all the fish.... That would be special and each boat could sponser specific kids...

It might be fun for the kids to make it a "Bring a buddy" type of deal. We have brought out a bunch of kids over the years, and a lot of them have caught their biggest fish ever, because they had never done the cold water routine.

Might take the edge off too for kids nervous about participating. Not to mention maybe start another kid on the sport.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Reelax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:42 am Safety and inclusion in a friendly derby sounds like a good thing!

I Frickin Love this idea@!!!!!!