Smart View Mobile Module and App for phone to track engine data

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Smart View Mobile Module and App for phone to track engine data

Post by digitroll (ron) »

For my Mercury Outboard friends: Just installed yesterday and tested a plug in module (smart view mobile accessory )for the motor that transmits all engine data to an app on my phone via Blue tooth. Even fuel mileage / refuel amount each time / Any codes or issues Vermont Home and Marine will get the engine codes via email. Engine maintenance reminders ie. plugs / belts / oil / Impeller based on hours. This is super cool!

striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: Smart View Mobile Module and App for phone to track engine data

Post by striper192001 »

Hi Ron,

What vintage (years) outboards can use this ?
digitroll (ron)

2004 and newer Mercury engines.

Mercury 3 minute demo video:

https://youtu.be/pc4IiTsmsl4
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Ron, this app seems interesting.
The free app is available for Iphone/Ipad, but you need to buy the VesselView Mobile module ($225) and install on your Mercury motor for it to work.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Yes Gerry just plug it in at your motor or at your Jbox under the dash where your smart craft rpm gauge is at a junction box with more plug in's (J-Box).

Plug and play no install required!
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

We have this installed on Strike Three. Ours is a 2004 smartcraft enabled 200HP EFI. First year it was offered I'm pretty sure. I had to buy the smartcraft Bluetooth plug thing, and also a harness thing too I think, because my motor didn't have the "yellow plug".

The checklist thing seemed pretty cool, but there's a bunch of stuff on the list I don't need. I figured I'd delete what I didn't need. It worked, but, came back when the app was closed and reopened.

Also, every time I start the engine and shut it off, there's a whole bunch of codes. Sort of like when you turn the key to on in your truck, and all of the warning lights come on. Also, you need the internet to see what some codes mean.

It seems like they stuck the app out on the market, and sort of walked away if you ask me, it's not super refined.

However, it is worth the money all day just for the real time readout of engine temperature in degrees F, tells you engine hours if you don't have an hour meter (like me, turns out the boat only has 172 hours), and tells you accurate engine RPMs. Our stock dash RPM gauge is way off for some reason, and will cost as much as this whole system to recalibrate at the gauge manufacturer.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
digitroll (ron)

From what I have seen in my situation is will be very beneficial. I troll with my big engine (no kicker) and as I do my maintenance I can input things like sparkplugs / water pump / oil change / accessory belt / inline fuel filter based on hours. I also can track my gas usage / oil change / hours. I don't get all the codes when the key is turned on like you mentioned.

Haven't tested it yet as I have been off the water for a few weeks with my boat. I am eager to test it though. The checklist isn't anything I need either but there seems to be a lot of other features that will benefit me without getting in the boat each time to check hours and fuel level by turning a key on every time at the house with my Smartcraft rpm tach. I like the idea of taking that data with me each time I get out of the boat and keeping track of everything from my phone.
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
digitroll (ron)

If your just using this for engine hours then maybe it's not a good investment. For me the Maint. screen / hours / fuel burn is awesome! and how much fuel remaining in your tank plus adding fillup's is very helpful!

Here is a detailed 30 minute demo of this app and use of all the features and benefits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIfqELm3tH8
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Hi Ron,

Does it only work with i-phone and not android ?

John
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I don't get all the codes when the key is turned on like you mentioned.
I did some more reading on that. It looks like it throws a code for any sensors that don't exist on the engines. Since mine is a 2004, the first year ever with smartcraft, there's a bunch of sensors that don't exist. That's why mine does that I guess.

Still worth the money all day if you ask me even with all of the bugs I have. I just wish they refined it a little more.

Sort of like Garmin's activecaptain. It's a great idea and I use it on all the boats, but, there's some annoyances. For example only half of the screens work in landscape mode. So, when you adjust depth shading for example, it goes sideways. Pretty dumb when you're using it in a fixed tablet.

If you bump the power cable, the map zooms out to include most of north America, and you need to zoom back in. Just dumb coding fixes that they haven't bothered to do.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack