DYP? Minimum 5 teams needed!!!

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

DYP? Minimum 5 teams needed!!!

Post by Greenhorn »

I am back on the forum after a hiatus for hunting season and ice fishing. I hope to launch on Champlain again later this month. I have been off the waters of Lake Champlain for too long! It is also one of my goals to post more stories from my fishing trips this year. I enjoy reading all of your posts, so I feel like I should post once in a while also. I was wondering if the DYP derby will be held this year. Does anyone know yet?

Thanks,

Jeff
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: DYP?

Post by Reelax »

Great question.

Not sure what the outcome will be for the 2021 DYP. In its regular schedule, it may still be too early to put 2 fishermen from different areas in a boat together safely. But with vaccinations and progress with this virus maybe we still could do something in 2021. maybe even In the early part of the season while the salmon bite is still on the up swing... The traditional Datillios derby weekend is still open.... ;) and it is always one of THE best salon bite weekends of the season..

If we do move forward there is opportunity for interested members to get involved as the person/people who have run it since it’s inception just do not have time to continue the role at prior levels. If anyone is interested in taking over the rains of this FUN derby, just reply... and we can start a discussion here... all are welcome...

This is a great subject to gain input on from all the members to see how they feel....

Thanks for starting the thread....

Fish on!
Matt B
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

I think we may be able to do something resembling a DYP this years depending upon how the vaccine and travel restrictions roll out. Like late May? What do you all think?
Ancient Mariner
Species: salmon lake trout walleye

Post by Ancient Mariner »

This sounds like a great idea ! I'll have my boat in by April and I've had both my shots so I'll be ready to go. I've got lots of room for a fishing partner on my boat. I'll be looking forward to this fun event.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I love the DYP derby. Lots of fun, camaraderie, food. Great opportunity to meet old friends and make new ones.
Hope they open the borders soon so I can fish Champlain again.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Obviously this is an important topic for the great group of fishermen on this forum. I know I really enjoy the derby as it is a chance to meet new fishermen and learn new methods for chasing these great game fish in Lake Champlain. I am willing to help someone organize and run the derby. Maybe we can organize a zoom meeting to discuss the challenges and opportunities to hold this event.

Jeff
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

We'like to participate in the derby, but it's all about how covid shakes out for us. I'm not worried about us, but, I've got 6 kids in the public school system. Drawing the Country Angler as your partner might be like the guy from Armageddon who drew the short straw, and had to stay behind and detonate the nuke.

Who knows, maybe Covid will be calming down by then, or maybe we could be a support boat or something.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Greenhorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:09 am Obviously this is an important topic for the great group of fishermen on this forum. I know I really enjoy the derby as it is a chance to meet new fishermen and learn new methods for chasing these great game fish in Lake Champlain. I am willing to help someone organize and run the derby. Maybe we can organize a zoom meeting to discuss the challenges and opportunities to hold this event.

Jeff
Great news Jeff. Homewrecker has always been the head of this derby... He would be a great guy to contact via PM if your interested!! Thanks a million for the offer... I talked to him the other day and he is willing to help train and work with folks.

Fish on!
Matt B
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

I have had the Trophy for 3 years and I am holding it hostage until I get my name plates for 2018 and 2019...... Maybe I should even get a special name plate for keeping it safe during COVID! LOL.
Just Kidding, with work in such turmoil I may have to sit this one out and work but I will make sure the trophy makes it to Dean for the event.
Todd
Todd
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Todd, It won't be the same winning the derby with you sitting it out! I am just waiting to hear from Homewrecker and I will see if there is enough time to get this put together this year and still accommodate the Covid concerns. I am sure I can work with Dean to get the name plates up-to-date. While I try to get familiar with how to organize the derby, it would be helpful to get a feel for how much interest there is out there for the DYP this year. If we held the derby in late April or early to mid-May, how many of you would be interested in participating? Please respond to this thread with a yes or no so I can evaluate if there is enough interest to make it happen this year.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Depends on Marina timing for me if I'm to host, but I'd be interested to jump aboard another boat. Instigator still has the smallest winning fish?!! Good fleet, good times. Let's see if it can't happen!
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Come Laker or
LOW water... I am in Jeff! With boat :shock:
Matt B
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Awesome, the DYP ball is rolling. Saturday, May 22nd has been suggested as a great weekend for the derby with Sunday May 23rd as a rain date. That weekend could produce a derby record winning fish!! I am in and can be with or without a boat.
Mike8484
Species: Trout

Post by Mike8484 »

This is my first season out here in Vermont so I am a bit unclear on the DYP derby but I am in for whatever it entails. I am sadly without a boat as my search for a nice aluminum boat continues.
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Hi Mike8484. Thanks for the reply and welcome to the area! I will describe the derby below. Because of Covid, I want to get a feel for how many are comfortable participating in this type of Derby. I am looking for at minimum of 10 people (5 teams) to hold the derby.

The DYP derby stand for Draw Your Parter. We traditionally held this derby at the end of April, but canceled last year for obvious reasons. This year, we are planning to hold in on May 22nd with a rain/blow date of May 23rd. Participants can enter with a boat or without a boat. The people entering with a boat go in one "hat" and the people without a boat go into a second "hat". We hold the drawing 2 weeks or so before the derby and draw a name from each hat and those two individuals are a team. There is a plaque with the winners names engraved on a tag and this plaque changes hands for each new winner. Each member of the winning team gets a plaque and bragging rights for a year and the plaqueS are returned for the next derby. To win the derby, you must bring in the heaviest salmon, steelhead, or brown trout. After the derby is over (usually weight in is around 3:00), there is a pot luck barbecue in the parking lot at the Converse Bay boat launch. It is one to the most enjoyable derbies I have ever fished in. You get to meet other fishermen with the same passion as you and will likely learn new and/or different approaches to catching salmon.

Speak up forum members if I left anything out!!

Tight lines....
Jeff