Post by popster »

Navionics Boating App is probably what you want for Champlain charts
Bill
"POINTER"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Lake maps app

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Many of us are running the Navionics Boating App on our IPad or smartphone.
Your IPAd must have the GPS chip.
The basic app is free, but with a yearly subscription you will get more features.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Lake maps app

Post by Detritus »

Navionics is the way to go. I had a lakemaster card in my humminbird unit, and navionics in my Garmin's. Navionics has more comprehensive Maps everywhere I have been.

I bought a lakevu g3 east or something chart SD card last year for my Garmin echomap plus 93sv on the Country angler. Really good charts, with free uodates. I think it did cost about 200 though.

However, with Garmin's express, you can register your map purchase, and download it to other SD cards and install them in other Garmin units all for free. Strike three recently got two echomap uhd 93sv's and I didn't have to buy another chart.

Another option they give you is to pay the same price as a SD card, and you can download it to things the same as above. Not sure what the real difference is, but the content is the same.

With your registered map though, I recently also found out, you can download the active captain app on your phone, and that gives you access to the same Maps as on my Chartplotter, on my phone, and it transfers way points and stuff to the chartplotters. It also works with ipads I'm pretty sure. No subscription, just a one time cost, comes with updates to app, and also the Maps.

Garmin has some really great stuff, (I think they own navionics), but, they do lack quite a bit in the information on how to use and tie all of their great stuff together.

But yes, I'd do the navionics lakevu g3 ultra or whatever they call it, download. You can put it on a bunch of devices for one up front cost.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack