Boat Advice/Suggestions

Share info on fishing Champlain.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Boat Advice/Suggestions

Post by BottomDollar »

I just saw this ad a couple of days ago and it checks a lot of boxes for what you might be looking for at what seems to me like a very fair price. Edit: not a deal killer but it sounds like it has some leaking rivets, a common issue for riveted aluminum in rough water.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d/es ... 48036.html
Mike8484
Species: Trout

Post by Mike8484 »

Thanks for the heads up. Seems it sold. I am intrigued by this post https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d/co ... 18691.html
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Lots of great advice. I have a similar boat to Digitroll (2012 Crestliner Sportfish 195) and I spent about a year looking for what I wanted. I ended up buying this in Buffalo. I bought it 3 years ago and it was practically new with about 25 hours on it. I feel an open bow will give more room for family and can be covered for weather days. Good luck !
Mike8484

Post by Mike8484 »

Hi all! So now that house hunting (house in Essex Junction) is done I am back on the hunt for my boat. The good news was that I have really fallen in love with the Vermont fishery as this ice fishing season was fantastic. It's been tough as the few aluminum boat options I am seeing are crazy expensive for what is being offered. There is also what I believe to be an overall lack of inventory to be had. Do boat "for sale" posts increase in the spring? I figured it would be the opposite and most folks would want to sell their boats in the winter. Who knows maybe I have that all wrong? I have been keeping my eye on craigslist and fb marketplace mostly with little to no results. I've even posted in local groups asking if anyone has a boat for sale. I am open to all suggestions that may help me on my search. I appreciate everyone's insight and will keep my eyes peeled for any "open seat" posts folks may offer.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Hi Mike8484. The pandemic has pushed a lot of people towards boating and fishing. The boat inventory is pretty tight right now and ever ordering a new boat will likely have a long lead time. It sounds like you have your ear to all the right places. I have a friend that is going to sell his Starcraft fisherman 195 with a 150 mercury out board and a 9.9 kicker motor. He hasn't listed it yet, but already has a guy interested in it. If that deal falls through, I will let you know. I have fished on this boat and it is in excellent shape and is perfect for Champlain. I asked for first dibs on this boat when he was ready to sell, but it is worth more than I am willing to part with at this time, so I reluctantly passed. I really like my Alumicraft Navigator 165 sport though. It is a bit small for Champlain, but I can easily handle the boat by myself and it is a good size for the smaller bodies of water I sometimes fish. Good luck on your search!
Fish_Stalker
Species: any

Post by Fish_Stalker »

On Facebook search for the page called "Walleye Boats For Sale" . Its a great used boat page, if your willing to travel to go get it. Good luck.
Mike8484

Post by Mike8484 »

Greenhorn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:45 pm Hi Mike8484. The pandemic has pushed a lot of people towards boating and fishing. The boat inventory is pretty tight right now and ever ordering a new boat will likely have a long lead time. It sounds like you have your ear to all the right places. I have a friend that is going to sell his Starcraft fisherman 195 with a 150 mercury out board and a 9.9 kicker motor. He hasn't listed it yet, but already has a guy interested in it. If that deal falls through, I will let you know. I have fished on this boat and it is in excellent shape and is perfect for Champlain. I asked for first dibs on this boat when he was ready to sell, but it is worth more than I am willing to part with at this time, so I reluctantly passed. I really like my Alumicraft Navigator 165 sport though. It is a bit small for Champlain, but I can easily handle the boat by myself and it is a good size for the smaller bodies of water I sometimes fish. Good luck on your search!
Thanks Greenhorn! The lack of inventory is frustrating but understandable. I would love to hear about the boat if the other person falls through. I like your comment about your Navigator being easy to handle by yourself. While researching boats I often thought through needing a bigger boat to have the wife and kids on but arrived at the conclusion that since they would rarely be going out with me I should go with a smaller more manageable boat that I can run by myself. I'll keep looking and hopefully something shakes loose. Hopefully a few open seat offers come up later this spring/summer. I'd love to get out on Champlain and see what the softwater fishery has to offer.
Mike8484

Post by Mike8484 »

Fish_Stalker wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:47 pm On Facebook search for the page called "Walleye Boats For Sale" . Its a great used boat page, if your willing to travel to go get it. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion Fish Stalker! I took a look and it solidified what I already thought was going on. Lack of inventory is driving prices through the roof even on older boat models. I'll keep checking on there.
Mike8484

Post by Mike8484 »

The search continues! I had a nice 1993 Lund that got bought up before I could make it out there to take a look at it. Oh well, lesson learned, I should have been quicker. Please reach out if anyone hears of an aluminum boat in the 16-20ft range.