2011 Surprise video and lunch in Grog Harbor

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

2011 Surprise video and lunch in Grog Harbor

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I was digging thru some of my very first You Tube videos from 2011 and found a couple with Randy and his original Frostbite vessel and spliced some short scenes for a short segment. Randy started Frostbiting in 1977 and later the whole concept of a gourmet lunch on his boat. The Shoot Out began in 2009 2 years earlier. My first year frostbiting began in 2006 when I repowered my Sea Nymph with the newly introduced 4 stroke Mercury 115 hp (Mercury broke it's ties with Yamaha and created their own 4 stroke engine) in it's first year of production. Hard to believe 14 years now trolling with one main engine with an Autopilot and Troll Control. It would be very difficult maybe $5 a gallon gas to go back to a kicker although the boat in 2013 was ordered with controls and cables if I ever wanted to put on one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lToaJnj9kKM
dry net
Species: cold water

Re: 2011 Surprise video and lunch in Grog Harbor

Post by dry net »

You seem to forget the added element of safety having two motors provides. I've had a main die on the water without a kicker. Thank god it was on a small body of water, still lots of paddling! It sucked! All the best, Matt
digitroll (ron)

Well,...2,500 hours on 3 engines and no failures in 14 seasons. I thought about it and after awhile never thought about it again. There is a lot of security built into these engines. Gas failure is the biggest concern but I have used Ring Free by Yamaha for trolling and Star Tron to treat the gas. Always pumped the cheaper ethanol fuel with no issues. My 4 stroke engine in my truck has never left me on the side of the highway. I never even think about engine failure on the road or water.
dry net

Post by dry net »

digitroll (ron) wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:38 am Well,...2,500 hours on 3 engines and no failures in 14 seasons. I thought about it and after awhile never thought about it again. There is a lot of security built into these engines. Gas failure is the biggest concern but I have used Ring Free by Yamaha for trolling and Star Tron to treat the gas. Always pumped the cheaper ethanol fuel with no issues. My 4 stroke engine in my truck has never left me on the side of the highway. I never even think about engine failure on the road or water.
I do hope it all continues to work out for you! Matt
digitroll (ron)

Little bit of luck doesn't hurt either. Back in the two stroke 115 hp days we had a lower unit gear failure one night out walleye fishing came back with kicker from Cedar. Broken shift cable during a bad thunderstorm on the Hudson luckily only 1/4 mile from the ramp with kicker. Thunderstorm at Schulyer Island engine wouldn't start in a thunderstorm came back to Burlington ay 7 mph with the kicker later diagnosed as a fuel pump issue. Two of these events were under warranty the first 3 years 1986 / 1988. 22 years with the two stroke 115 hp. and 3 different kickers. Oh I ran out of gas 1 mile from the Malletts Bay ramp with the 115 two stroke, but had my Honda kicker 2.5 gallon portable tank to bring me in. 4 events the first 22 years. Last 14 years nada since I had one engine and a 4 stroke. The only fuel running out or issue in 40 years was my fault but I knew I was running low and could make it back with my kicker as I purposely stayed close to the ramp. I was testing my new autopilot 15 years ago out solo.

Another benefit of running one engine is the need for one battery only. Starting battery. I replace it every 5 seasons.
dry net

Post by dry net »

I only one run battery and replace it every three. I've read alot of differing opinions on having two batteries and a selector switch. Haven't made up my mind about that yet.