Dangerous Poker Race

Share info on fishing Champlain.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Dangerous Poker Race

Post by mudchuck »

A complaint was lodged with VTFW asking why they've done nothing about this. Why wasn't USCG, VSP, VTFW out there KNOWING this poker race was about to happen, yet did NOTHING about the speed boats running right between 3 boats fishing, which all were on spot lock jigging lakers that morning.
The fact that these @$$h0les were blatant about this just makes things worse.
The woman on the phone at VTFW while this was being reported, her response was " we're aware of a boat race, maybe you should leave the area"...
Unacceptable! My response is well maybe its a large enough lake they can GO AROUND, NOT THRU the boats fishing.
Besides, being 50 feet away from stationary fishing boats & running 75MPH + is careless, dangerous and illegal!!!

https://youtu.be/c_4ENVBfz6Q
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Dangerous Poker Race

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

:roll: some brains are fueled by thinking, others by power. :roll:
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Mudchuck - Any response from the state? I heard about this race on Tuesday from a volunteer who assisted, but the video seems pretty damning. Has the State responded?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I am also interested in what the authorities have to say about this, as it could create future safety issues for fisherman and other lake users if held again....
Matt B
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

TUnamas wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:35 pm Mudchuck - Any response from the state? I heard about this race on Tuesday from a volunteer who assisted, but the video seems pretty damning. Has the State responded?
Crickets...
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

This year was 25 boats. Next year will be more than twice that:

https://www.speedonthewater.com/lake-ch ... cond-year/
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

You're responsible for damage that your wake causes on the water.

Seems like these poker run guys should replace all of the fish hawks, garmin force trolling motors, 12" Simrad Graphs, and penn rods that got knocked in the water because of violating the 200' rule on top of the whole wake thing.

Maybe they'd follow the law next year.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

By the way, I don't have facebook, but, someone should post the link to that video of those guys blowing by the fishermen in the comment section of that cheerful article praising them for being such great guys.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

They might pay attention next time before disaster happens. Running right at small craft at high speed that are fishing in a near fixed stationary positions, then passing in between within 50' is not only illegal, but so dangerous & wrong.
I've been hearing guys spouting off with bravado about how they're packing and will shoot at them if they did this to them, and others telling me they'd throw things at them. That's not the way to handle this and those speed boat guys need to understand this could escalate into something way more serious if it were to happen again. Bottom line is obey the laws of the water and don't pull crap like this again AND, VTFW, USGC & VSP NEED TO CLOSELY MONITOR THESE EVENTS AND ENFORCE THE LAWS. Not one state/federal official representing these entities was out on the lake when this occurred, yet they were well aware of this event happening!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I guess it's like anything, it's all about the money. These aren't poor people after all.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

It pisses me off that state police would ticket me if I didn't have a pfd (of course I do) but wouldn't ticket one of these jerks for breaking the law and actually creating danger.