Social Distancing article for trolling....NYDEC

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Social Distancing article for trolling....NYDEC

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Meanwhile, many fishing guides, although they’ve received no official order to do so, are strongly considering or have already cancelled and trying to reschedule trips they had booked in upcoming weeks.

Capt. Tony Buffa, of Capt. Tony Buffa Fishing Charters out of Oswego, has been guiding on Lake Ontario for 44 years. Although he has posted nothing yet on his Facebook page, he said all his trips through April have been cancelled..

“I’m taking the high road,” he said. “There’s no social distancing on a charter boat. You have clients traveling in from elsewhere and you don’t know they carrying with them. I don’t want to be the person who gets sick or gets this passed on to someone else.”

Shane Muckey, of Altmar, who runs Altmar Outfitters fishing lodge on the Salmon River, wrote on his Facebook page:

“It took a lot of thought, a lot of thought, but in the best interest of my family and my guests and their families (the lodge) will be closed until I feel its safe for everyone to stay here.. Whether its legal to be open or it isn’t doesn’t concern me, this is way more important then that. This was a very hard decision for me to make as I rely on the money I make in March and April to get me threw the summer months until the salmon guys come rolling in in august. I have lots of guys wanting to stay with me this up coming week and the week after, and it was tempting to say yes and make that money. But I couldn’t live with myself if I caused someone’s death.”
digitroll (ron)

Re: Social Distancing article for trolling....NYDEC

Post by digitroll (ron) »

These boats out there are typically 28-32 feet in length. People are coming in contact with the same rods and reels over an 8 hour period and equipment ie. riggers /boards / lures / net. It's not just the 6 foot rule in these cases. I am fishing solo until the 6 ft rule is lifted on land.
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

digitroll (ron) wrote:These boats out there are typically 28-32 feet in length. People are coming in contact with the same rods and reels over an 8 hour period and equipment ie. riggers /boards / lures / net. It's not just the 6 foot rule in these cases. I am fishing solo until the 6 ft rule is lifted on land.
Same here Ron, Hopefully I'll get the shrink wrap off the Polar Kraft this week and maybe get out this coming Sunday.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

digitroll (ron) wrote:I am fishing solo until the 6 ft rule is lifted on land.
Good advice. I hope everyone can follow this rule (excluding members of your household) so we don't lose the privilege of using state accesses. Remember, the state definitely reads this forum and sees all the photos.
Nysrx01
Species: Trout

Post by Nysrx01 »

The state of CT opened there season March 25 which was 3 weeks ahead of time to limit overcrowding the opening day plus to give the people something to do. There guide lines for boating is fishing by yourself, immediate household member or if they share the same living space. They are closing the boat launches for next weekend because that would of been the original opening day and I figure they are afraid to many people will show up. You can still fish from the shoreline but social distancing is a must. Plus they are not going to post the stocking dates and locations on there DEEP fisheries web site as another precaution to limit overcrowding.
It's paid of some for myself. The fishing is slow maybe 2- 4 fish a day but I have taken some nice Browns and rainbows trolling. Largest Brown so far 5lb 7 oz. catching at least one brown a day between 3-5 lbs. rainbows are running 15-17 inches.
Attachments
60710022702__2D6D1C0A-DE1E-4018-8BA0-0B24CEB3AF84.JPG
60710022702__2D6D1C0A-DE1E-4018-8BA0-0B24CEB3AF84.JPG (335.9 KiB) Viewed 1820 times