Landlocked Salmon - Sharing from the North

Share info on fishing Champlain.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Landlocked Salmon - Sharing from the North

Post by DreamWeaver »

After watching a recent video of a NY hatchery for Landlocked Salmon and I learned the lack of a particular vitamin due to the fish's consumption of alewives, which affects the reproduction cycle.
Fresh water smelt are important to their diet, so I thought to share the success of the story in northern Quebec.

There is some great information on how the restoration of landlocked salmon (ounaniche) was maintained by ensuring a healthy population of fresh water smelt. You will need to translate the information.

I had downloaded an interesting report on how CLAP implemented their fresh water smelt restoration plan, however I was unable to up load here.

https://claplacsaintjean.com/rapports-de-recherche/
Lac St_Jean.jpg
Lac St_Jean.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Landlocked Salmon - Sharing from the North

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

The thing is that everywhere when there is alewives they took over the smelt. Same thing happen in the Great Lakes. Before the alewives lake Champlain sustain a large smelt population with excellent reproduction. The problem on lake St-Jean was the poor and in small numbers spawning area.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Re: Landlocked Salmon - Sharing from the North

Post by DreamWeaver »

You make a good point Andre. There should be a good understanding of the alewives spawning cycle and locations so potentially it can be diminished and in parallel re-establish the smelt population.

We all know the answer to the great lakes, the fishery it has become and economic benefits. I do believe lake Champlain has a better opportunity to support a different solution.