Salmon Future

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Re: Salmon Future

Post by Crazy Ivan »

I have been fishing hard for salmon since 1985, the areas that I fish come and go over the years. Just like the spoon dujour, it’s always changing. 2019 was one of my best years yet and I didn’t spend much time in any of my usual spots. I fish from cedar beach to south of the bridge, it has always been a guessing game as to where they will be. I was lucky to have the entire month of June off and once we dialed the in we stayed with them until October.
The starting points for 2019 were not where I thought it would be and it took a while to find them and I am quite sure they will be in a different spot in 2020.
The frost bite season was a bust for me with too much work and bad conditions for most of November and December that limited my trips as it did most everyone else that I know. With hardly anyone on the water it’s hard to judge what the fall truly was.
The one thing I know for sure is that the area I fish is massive and there is always a hot bite somewhere in those 20 miles or so of lake, it’s up to me to find it.
I totally disagree that the salmon fishery has gone off the deep end and something is amiss and totally wrong..... things change the fish are still out there we just have to find them. That’s what makes it fun. It’s not gloom and doom it hunt and find! I am looking forward to 2020 and hunting them down again.
Todd
Todd
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Crazy Ivan wrote:I have been fishing hard for salmon since 1985, the areas that I fish come and go over the years. Just like the spoon dujour, it’s always changing. 2019 was one of my best years yet and I didn’t spend much time in any of my usual spots. I fish from cedar beach to south of the bridge, it has always been a guessing game as to where they will be. I was lucky to have the entire month of June off and once we dialed the in we stayed with them until October.
The starting points for 2019 were not where I thought it would be and it took a while to find them and I am quite sure they will be in a different spot in 2020.
The frost bite season was a bust for me with too much work and bad conditions for most of November and December that limited my trips as it did most everyone else that I know. With hardly anyone on the water it’s hard to judge what the fall truly was.
The one thing I know for sure is that the area I fish is massive and there is always a hot bite somewhere in those 20 miles or so of lake, it’s up to me to find it.
I totally disagree that the salmon fishery has gone off the deep end and something is amiss and totally wrong..... things change the fish are still out there we just have to find them. That’s what makes it fun. It’s not gloom and doom it hunt and find! I am looking forward to 2020 and hunting them down again.
Todd
x2
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I still say something is wrong when two thirds of our Lake is not worth fishing for salmon. I think there should be more to this than than travelling 60-70 miles every day in pursuit of salmon, when I can spit in the water from my camper. And I am not moving my camper, because by the time I do, I'm afraid that whatever is going on will be happening in the south too.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Jeff,
I hope thing turn around for you up there. You have a lot of water to cover up there, they could be hiding just about anywhere. My area of fishing is roughly 21 miles as a crow flys and quite a bit narrower so the search is more realistic.
Todd
Todd
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks for always sage advice and reports Todd. You will see me on the Southern end more this year. Paula is retired, so we'll have more time to make the trip. Also I can park the boat in Bridport, so I don't always have to pull it so far. Walleye has been a saving Grace for us too. But I think the deeper water of Converse and below is the reason fishing is more constant there. The wild temperature changes I see daily, are not so frequent down your way. Better to hold bait in one area. I see 15 and 20 degree temp changes overnight, more and more. Climate change is a real thing.