Spawning Salmon volunteer today at White River National Fish Hatchery with Bill Ardren and team!

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Spawning Salmon volunteer today at White River National Fish Hatchery with Bill Ardren and team!

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Today I had a wonderful opportunity to volunteer and help out the U.S. Fish and Wildlife team led by Bill Ardren spawn Landlock salmon at the White River National Fish Hatchery. We will be catching these fish in Lake Champlain 3 years from now. :) I made two "You Tube" videos that have links below. Can't wait to do it again next year! Thanks guys! It really doesn't get much better than this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1OqLIZLJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w8ogWsuJkA

tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Spawning Salmon volunteer today at White River National Fish Hatchery with Bill Ardren and team!

Post by tmcaul »

Thanks for the videos, Ron.

Where did the salmon in the videos come from? Lake Champlain? Or?
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Spawning Salmon volunteer today at White River National Fish Hatchery with Bill Ardren and team!

Post by fishy1 »

ron thanks for the pics and videos loved it.
digitroll (ron)

These are brood fish raised in the hatchery and different ones are used for different control groups for experiments to improve the genetics. The salmon up at Ed Weed are used from the lake for a more natural selection. The good news is these fish are a backup plan if somehow they don't get enough salmon at hatchery brook. Not a problem this year with 1,000 fish plus. :). And vice versa if something happens to the White River Brood stock we have Ed Weed to fall back on. Great stuff! I hope to go back this week and help again. These guys are fun to talk to and share stories!
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

I think the White River Hatchery's Conn River restoration project eventually "pooped out" because of low returns. (Just confirmed that on their website.) So where do White River hatchery salmon wind up? What numbers for Lake Champlain and how does that compare to the Ed Weed facility?
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
digitroll (ron)

The Atlantic program ended just before Irene hit. They switched to raising Landlocks for Champlain. I don't know the actual numbers but both Weed and White River go into Champlain.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Ron - What a great experience. I am familiar with the WR hatchery, as the White was my home water and I fly-fished it daily for several years around 1990. The salmon always bothered me, as we'd hit runs where the salmon smelt would hit every cast. Not only were they way undersized, I worried what effect they were having on the local trout population as they were (1) so aggressive and (2) numerous. We always moved away to continue fishing, but I never had a good answer to the salmon impacts.
digitroll (ron)

Interesting Scott about the short salmon hitting in bunches. What a beautiful river that is! Last week was a road trip week. Visiting Fishy one in Elizabethtown, NY / Helping out with the spawning at White River near Bethel / Skiing at Killington another 20 minute drive past the hatchery on Friday. Looking forward to fishing on the Surprise vessel for 3 weeks in December launching from "Secret Launch #2".