Daily Bag and Size Limits

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Daily Bag and Size Limits

Post by C-Hawk »

Well said Captain Paul. You guys are the eyes and ears of our fisherey. How about my spiel, bag limit the same as possesion limit for gamefish. Only makes sense. Most people will abide, but the guy that finds a school of walleye, at least will keep his mouth shut when his freezer is full.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I guess I have mixed feelings about this. I have to tell you, I am not a big fan of catching Lakers.
With that being said, when targeting Salmon in Mid Summer you will get Lakers and be bringing them up from 80-90 feet. I don't care how good you are at reviving them....some will not make it.
I am also not a fan of clickers to keep count like a baseball umpire. I know this may piss some people off, but that is just how I feel. I understand catch and release and it is your right....just my thoughts.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

My two cents. I think the state should keep very close tabs on the walleye fishery. After all the effort and time that's been put into trying to restore the populations I would hate to see it suffer a setback. Personally I think a two fish limit would be wise. No one seems to be complaining about two salmon a day. Now for lakers I see no problem with people keeping their limits (if that's your thing) with emphasis on keeping some of the smaller size fish since they would be the best eating anyways. Since the state has stopped doing trawls we really have no idea what the laker population is but judging by the amount of lakers many folks are catching in a day I would say it's in very good shape. One of the things we have to keep in mind is the forage base and how many fish it can actually support which at the moment we know little about. I think its a healthy thing to take some fish home based on that fact. As always if you see folks keeping more than their limits they should be turned in to wardens and be prosecuted.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

The walleye fishery was my main reason for posting. The late spring allowed fishermen access to peak spawn walleyes for the first time in years. This is a very bad thing IMO (though admittedly we fished opening week, but released the only fish caught a 27 incher). The state should do as other states do and adjust seasons based on conditions not a set in stone law. the closed season is for protection of the spawn, removes that protection, and most dont realize that is the reason fish were being caught in such high concentrations.
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Easier than adjusting season dates yearly how about a tag system similar to deer tags each angler is given hypothetical 2 tags with yearly license for walleyes over 26” fish must get tagged immediately after boated once your tags are used all walleyes over 26” must be released that way A person can keep a trophy but will hopefully stop the few that pound the breeder eyes just a thought as I am seeing these big breeders suffering here in NY as well as VT.
So many Lures So little Time
Strange 'Eyes
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Strange 'Eyes »

Yes this year was a late run for walleye but most of the fish being caught and posted on social media(802 Fishing on Facebook for example) were caught at the two or three "cuts" not the rivers where most people target spawning walleyes. This type of fishing is done every year and its about as easy as it gets when it comes to walleye fishing on lake Champlain. No matter how late they push back walleye season they will still be there and anybody with a crank bait can catch them. With that being said, there is something that needs to be done to keep the walleye fishery the way it is now. I do not think changing the season is going to do anything. Weather the spawn happens early or late you will always be able to catch them in the rivers and the before mentioned cuts. Its not like all the walleye run up the river at the exact same time. They come in waves. Also, not all walleye spawn in rivers. Yes, that may be where most people are successful targeting them but to say that is why they were caught in high concentrations this year is a bit of a stretch. Talented walleye fisherman crush them every year and all year long. I also think that saying the states do studies and that's the reason the limits are the way they are is also a stretch. If that was the case we would see bag limits change with a lot more regularity. IMO Lake Champlain needs a slot on walleye. No angler needs to keep 3 walleye over 25" or even 23". Yeah its cool to take a pic of your limit and post to brag to all the other fisherman out there but its completely unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I have done this a time or two and I've learned from it. Some understand this, some don't and that's the real issue here. Remember "Too much of a good thing can be harmful". You will never be able to change some peoples mind if its legal for them to catch and keep those fish. The states need to act(studies) to really make a change. I really like C-Hawks idea of daily and possession limits being the same. Its tough to enforce but it would be a step in the right direction. Go to a 2 fish daily limit because you can feed your entire family with those two fish. Maybe one over 20" and one between 18-20". Just a thought!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i was out in wisconsin a couple of times on business and my ist meal in a restauraunt was walleye. there in all restauraunts diners and so on . there were 6 of us at the restaurant eating all from different states and all had walleye for dinner some had the walleye nuggets. i got to thinking how can that be and still have a successfull fishery. well i went down to a river the next evening and there is a slot limit on walleyes. cant remember exactly what is was but i think it was 17 to 19 and one over 20 and the limit was 5. this was like 17 years ago though. at the minnesota baseball stadium they have always sold walleye nuggets there. maybe there is a need to check this out and see if it still working. as for strange eyes comment there caught all year everywhere he is so right. the season is closed for the spawn but the walleye are caught in the lake and rivers. as for the rivers i caught them all year in them . if the limit though is 3 and no slot limit leave it alone unless its better to change it with a slot limit. remember all game fish have limits and size so there are other species out there it could affect. this is not all about walleye its all about all game fish . people buy fishing licenses to fish and keep there legal limits the ones that over due it need to be caught. this is one reason a possession will never work anywhere to hard to prove and catch. lots of good opionions here on this post and i like bagmans comment how about the forage will it hold up. i really think there are way to many lakers in the lake and they eat plenty. been keeping some now for freinds and everyone is stuffed with smelt or alewifes. so multiply that by thousands if not millions well i guess that why there isnt any smelt like it used to be. i would like to see more fisherman keeping lakers not less and maybe even salmon. up and down the lake during the lci weekend there was lots of lakers caught and big ones probably all full of smelt and alewifes
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

I dont partake in this forum anymore for a number of reasons, But, I will chime in here in our defense. All of last year only maybe 6 fish of the 1000 lake trout I caught were kept. No photos at the dock of 20 lake trout. Etc. The majority of my clients come to fish. We dont keep fish on my boat especially the big ones. I dont fish tourneys for that very reason. From stripers in Kingston to lake trout on champlain, They all go back. The assumption that charter boat captains are any different then the tin can man and our responsibility extends beyond the recreational fisherman because we get paid to fish is silly. we all share the responsibility equally. If anything, the charter captains have learned to catch, handle, and release the fish properly and due to the numbers of fish caught and there experience. We want a sustainable fishery more so then most. We all learn and grow in this fishery as I have in handling and releasing the fish. We need to learn to not criticize, yet educate those that dont. The limits and regs are set. We all pay to play. If someone wants to take a few fish, that's their right.
Will nolan "swilly"
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I wasn’t trying to criticize. I was trying to point out all of our mutual responsibility in ensuring the long term health of the fishery. And charter boats do have a greater responsibility inherent in the fact they catch more fish, and are fishing with people who don’t know the fishery, it’s their responsibility to explain the history, and to educate the client on all the great things that make Champlain what it is. I applaud your practicing C&R on your fish. This was not targeted at any person or group, and was merely a call for people to recognize what we do has an impact, clearly you already understand that and likely already educate your clients, that is great and commendable, but there are people who don’t recognize the impact, and my post was just bringing up that concern.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Just my $0.02 regarding C&R fishing from July-October: a well aerated live well and some ice go a long way to helping fish survive if they're brought up from down deep. It gives them a chance that releasing them in 70°+ surface water doesn't provide. They sell kits for coolers for like $35 if your boat doesn't have one.

Or eat them. Like Captain Paul said about lake trout; they're one of the best eating fish in the lake besides walleye if you know how to humanely kill, bleed, gut, and cook fish (my opinion, obviously).