Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Re: Champlain Stocking List for Vt & NY

Post by Captain Paul »

Pretty low numbers for the size of Lake Champlain
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

New York needs to step it up. I've been saying for years they don't contribute enough. Time for NY anglers to hound their fish and game commissioner. This is a travesty.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

I agree NY should be much more involved in the Lake Champlain program especially from a biology perspective but it should also be noted that in May 2018 a power failure at the Adirondack Hatchery wiped out close to 250,000 landlocks
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

ny does step it up my opionion because it is a large state compared to vt and more waters to stock. they also stock salmon and lakers in champlain but that power failure really hurt the salmon production. ny does not stock steelhead in champlain like vt im wondering why as most steelies down here are wild. im not making excuses for ny but they have a ton of more stocking to do and all trout ponds off road in the adirondack mtns are stocked by helicopter. 2 or 3 counties in ny are as large as the whole state of vt so its much easier for vt to stock champlain. would like to hear more comments on this.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

If you compare the fish stocked in champ to lake o, the numbers are actually not terrible when u account for size, if u add up all the salmonid stocked in Ontario it’s about 4million annually, so having almost 10% that number in champ is not bad when you consider that champ is under 2% the size of Ontario by volume
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Got to disagree with you Matt. They should stock equal numbers of fish that Vermont does. They have equal control of the Lake, maybe time for Vermont to get rid of the reciprocal license agreement. I'll buy NY, but I bet license sales would go up in Vt. Also NY has way more money than VT.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:Got to disagree with you Matt. They should stock equal numbers of fish that Vermont does. They have equal control of the Lake, maybe time for Vermont to get rid of the reciprocal license agreement. I'll buy NY, but I bet license sales would go up in Vt. Also NY has way more money than VT.
dont know if the reciprocal license has anything to do with the stocking list the i knew ny stocked more lakers and salmon in champlain than vt. that was a few years ago if i remember right. if they did do away with reciprocal license i would be using 3 rods here on my side not 2. also the bait laws arnt the same and most of us already buy vt licenses anyhow to fish bullhead and other fish over there and that brings revenue to vt. last i see published vt resident licenses way down so be careful what you wish for. i just paid $2 more for my non resident fishing license to save the salisbury hatchery and many others did here also.
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
innkeeper
Species: salmon

Post by innkeeper »

Before anyone jumps to conclusions here are the Facts from the Co-Op's Plan about NY and VT's contribution to Lake Champlain stocking. NY's share of stocking occurs in the Broad Lake and their fish come from a combination of the NYDEC Adirondack Hatchery and the US F&W Eisenhower Hatchery in Pittsford. New York's share of stocking in the Broad Lake is 140,000 salmon and 20,000 Lake Trout, 20,000 Brown Trout. Vermont's Share all in the Broad Lake is 70,000 salmon, 60,000 lake trout 45,000 Steelhead and 30,000 Brown Trout. In addition Vermont stocks 75,000 salmon, 15,000 Steelhead, 20,000 Brown Trout in Mallets Bay/Inland Sea waters. Both states have actually stocked numbers very close to or above this objective every year of the program since 2009 or so. New York has experienced some disease problems at the Adirondack hatchery and this has required some help from ED Weed and Eisenhower this year to help them meet their numbers. New York currently does not have a fisheries biologist working on the lake but has committed to assign/hire one this year for their side of the Lake. New York has been and still is a valuable partner in the program. New York has deep experience in their Finger Lakes and Great Lakes Programs and contributes that willingly to the Lake Champlain effort. License reciprocity is a great convenience for all and represents the strong collaborative effort between the 2 states and the US F&W service.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Thanks for that perspective, innkeeper. I had a feeling there was more to the story than the numbers in the original post suggested.