Salisbury Hatchery to close PETITION ADDED!!!!

Share info on fishing Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Salisbury Hatchery to close PETITION ADDED!!!!

Post by raz »

I've learned that Gov Scott wants the Salisbury Hatchery to close due to budget cuts.
https://www.facebook.com/FishingLakeCha ... 5357979150

Please consider writing a note to the Governor using this official page: https://governor.vermont.gov/contact-us ... BiKZFUI1O8
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
raz
Site Admin

Re: Salisbury Hatchery to close

Post by raz »

I wrote and got a response almost immediately:

Dear Gerry:

Thank you for reaching out regarding Vermont’s fish hatcheries.

Due to continued structural cost pressures in state government, we began the budget-making process for state government with a $40 million deficit. Similarly, as is reflected in my FY20 budget proposal, the Department of Fish and Wildlife’s fiscal position continues to be challenging. Increased costs from staff benefits, internal service charges, and revenue shortfalls meant the Department was faced with an estimated $450,000 gap by the time the budget was due to be completed.

The Department continues to see a decrease in the number of annual hunting and fishing licenses sold. The number of resident fishing, hunting and combination licenses sold decreased by 3.3% from 2017 to 2018 and was down 7.6% in 2018 compared to the previous three-year average. These licenses generate over a third of all hunting and angling license and permit revenue. Net revenues for just these three licenses produced a loss of $85,149 between 2017 and 2018. Based on the 2018 license year, projections for license sales in future years have been downgraded. While it would have been possible to cover the shortfall through increases in hunting, fishing and trapping licenses, I am concerned about the impact of growing prices on the ability of Vermonters to continue to live in our state.

The Department leadership worked with Secretary Moore to evaluate a range of possible strategies for addressing the shortfall. This was difficult work and there were no easy choices; the budget reflects the most responsible approach given the short-term and long-term position of the Department. The proposed budget addresses the shortfall through a mix of increased General Fund allocation and budget reductions. Most notably, the budget includes a 4.9% increase in the Department’s General Fund allocation and the decommissioning of the Salisbury Fish Culture Station.

The reasons for proposing the decommissioning the Salisbury Fish Culture Station (SAFCS) as opposed to another fish hatchery are two-fold. First, SAFCS is the Department’s most expensive in terms of dollars per-pound of the fish produced. Second, the facility is in need of significant infrastructure upgrades – preliminary estimates total upwards of $12 million – to meet modern discharge requirements under the Vermont Water Quality Standards and the federal Clean Water Act if it is to continue operating in future years, a problem made more significant by a change in how far downstream the effluent from the hatchery is measured.

While my Administration remains committed to efforts to grow revenue streams related to hunting and fishing licenses, the non-game fund, conservation license plates, and the habitat stamp, the proposed budget begins the hard work needed to better match our operations to current revenues.

Put simply, the significant capital expenditures required for the SAFCS to meet water quality standards coupled with ongoing operating expenses of the facility are overwhelming.

To be clear, my Administration remains committed to continuing to invest in our fish hatcheries. These hatcheries foster both economic and recreational opportunities across Vermont. In October of 2018, we began reconstruction of the Roxbury Fish Hatchery severely damaged by Tropical Storm Irene. Similarly, in 2017, Department staff lead efforts to increase the energy efficiency, environmental impact, and cost savings of fish culture stations across the state. I’m proud of these efforts we’ve undertaken to improve our fish hatcheries throughout the state.

If you have any further questions regarding the SAFCS, please don’t hesitate to contact the Department directly (802-828-1000) or my office (802-828-3333).

Again, thank you for reaching out.

Sincerely,

Philip B. Scott

Governor

PBS/hd
Gerry
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

I reached out to the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department, inquiring for more information, specifically the Salisbury Fish Culture Station Decommissioning Analysis, and they were more than happy to share. The analysis can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D97T0j ... sp=sharing
Gerry
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Hmmm. Between lamprey, cormorants and this, the bite my be less than hot.

The report stated closing the hatchery will result in a lack of ability to stock several trout species statewide for several years while broodstock is raised to replace that lost from closing the hatchery:
"▪ Brook trout – no catchable sized trout stocking for 2022 and 2023 seasons.
▪ Brown and rainbow trout – no catchable sized trout stocking for 2022 – 2024
seasons.
▪ Steelhead – no yearling steelhead stockings for 2022 - 2025 seasons.
▪ Lake trout – no yearling lake trout stockings for 2022 – 2027 seasons."
...to me this seems like a pretty high price to pay.

The report states:"FY20 Net savings of decommissioning Salisbury Fish Culture Station: $250,000" and then also "Using the 2011 US Fish and Wildlife Service National Survey of Hunting, Fishing, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation coupled with the 2010 Vermont Angler Survey VTFWD estimates the economic impact of fish stocking in Vermont to total around $31.6M. A secondary consequence of reducing fish stocking could be a diminished economic impact to the state of Vermont due to less people fishing and spending money on fishing."

That appears to be a short savings of a quarter million dollars with a much higher potential of lost tourism and recreation revenue. I think the report shows that after the first year, the savings will be about $520,000/year. Still seems short-sighted, with potentially long-lasting consequences for nearly a decade at least.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

The other key issue the Governor ignores, is that many non fishermen and hunters, benefit from programs sponsored and paid for through F and W funds. Does he really think we are not going to cry foul when he expects license fees to cover the entire F and W budget? What about bearing the costs of what used to be Fishing Accesses, but are now public boat ramps? What about conservation areas enjoyed by hikers, bird watchers and picnickers? How much longer can a few sportsmen bear the costs that all Vermonters and thousands of tourists use?

Governor Scott is being very shortsited in his idea that F and W should be solely supported by license fees. Maybe time to trim some deadwood salaries at the top too.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Excellent points made by C-Hawk.

I have nothing critical to say about kayakers, but they are frequent users of the launches and parking at the launches. And there are a lot of them.

At the Converse ramp sailboats moored nearby ferry people and dogs to and from the launch. I am not certain if the registration of American sailboat owners contributes to the F&G funding. Same for the Canadian sailboats that are unregistered in Canada and are moored here or use NY or VT dockage.

These users, especially kayakers, should help pay for the use of the launches. That's just fair. There could be an exemption for kayak users who can prove they have lake access. Of course, the flip side of this is that the priority list for launch use by fishermen, hunters, etc., will now disappear. But there is no effective enforcement of this that I have observed.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

It's great that we can have a dialog here. Everyone has their own ideas and they can all be helpful. Please convey them here: https://governor.vermont.gov/contact-us ... BiKZFUI1O8

Here's part of the Governor's equation that kinda chaps my cheeks:
...the facility is in need of significant infrastructure upgrades – preliminary estimates total upwards of $12 million – to meet modern discharge requirements under the Vermont Water Quality Standards and the federal Clean Water Act if it is to continue operating in future years, a problem made more significant by a change in how far downstream the effluent from the hatchery is measured.
Effluent? From a hatchery? Really? When communities are allowed to give notice to dump raw or partially treated sewage into our waterways and get immediate approval?
Something there just doesn't jive right with me....
Write the Governor...SAVE THE HATCHERY! https://governor.vermont.gov/contact-us ... BiKZFUI1O8

SPREAD THE WORD
Gerry
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

raz wrote:It's great that we can have a dialog here. Everyone has their own ideas and they can all be helpful. Please convey them here: https://governor.vermont.gov/contact-us ... BiKZFUI1O8

Here's part of the Governor's equation that kinda chaps my cheeks:
...the facility is in need of significant infrastructure upgrades – preliminary estimates total upwards of $12 million – to meet modern discharge requirements under the Vermont Water Quality Standards and the federal Clean Water Act if it is to continue operating in future years, a problem made more significant by a change in how far downstream the effluent from the hatchery is measured.
Effluent? From a hatchery? Really? When communities are allowed to give notice to dump raw or partially treated sewage into our waterways and get immediate approval?
Something there just doesn't jive right with me....
Write the Governor...SAVE THE HATCHERY! https://governor.vermont.gov/contact-us ... BiKZFUI1O8

SPREAD THE WORD
Just copied my post and added a few words to your Governor
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I got the same response you did Raz, makes you wonder if they even read our complaints. Maybe if we put campaign donation in the email header someone will read it.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Yes the Salisbury hatchery is outdated and has problems (water discharge, and summer temp problems) Scotts proposal and what looks like Porters support is a knee jerk reaction that is devastating to the states fisheries at least for the short term (2-4 years) since the brood stock in Salisbury cannot be transferred to other hatcheries because of disease concerns. Thus the supply of eggs for other hatcheries will be cut off. Result = no trout. It seems a more reasonable approach would be to keep Salisbury up and running until new brood stock is grown in other hatcheries (a few years) This would put some strain on other state hatcheries and cause a few headaches along the way but can be done. This would insure a smooth transition and keep the states stocking program going. I would ask every member here to contact their state rep, their fish and wildlife members and the gov and voice their concerns. Fishing organizations have been notified state wide and will be joining this fight
bagman

Post by bagman »

Since this is a budget issue the F&W board will have little role in this . They make laws and changes to regulations. I would advise folks to contact Senate leader Tim Ashe and house leader Mitzi Johnson. I already received a personal reply from Mitzi
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Very informative post Bill, (bagman) and I would join you in asking LCU members to contact their legislative reps, Gov. Scott, Commissioner Louis Porter and his Executive Assistant, Will Duane
802-522-7633, and the Fish & Wildlife Board to express your opinions. All board members are listed below

BOARD MEMBER NAME TERM EXPIRES SEAT DESCRIPTION
Timotyh Biebel 2/28/2022 Windsor County
Peter Allard 2/28/2019 Franklin County
Theresa Elmer 2/28/2019 Washington County
Wendy Butler 2/28/2022 Addison County
Bryan McCarthy 2/28/2024 Grand Isle County
Johanna Laggis 2/29/2020 Caledonia County
Kevin Lawrence 2/28/2019 Orange County-CHAIR
Brian Wiles 2/28/2023 Rutland County
Dennis Mewes 2/28/2021 Windham County
Michael Kolsun 2/29/2024 Essex County
William Pickens 2/28/2021 Lamoille County
David Robillard 2/28/2023 Orleans County
Cheryl Sullivan 2/29/2020 Chittenden County
David Fielding 2/28/2022 Bennington County

BOARD MEMBERS
Kevin Lawrence, Chair
Orange County
5449 Main Street
Newbury VT 05051
fwboard.orange@gmail.com
(802) 280-5884
March 1, 2013 to Feb 28, 2019

Michael W. Kolsun
Essex County
1458 Head Of The Pond Road / P.O. Box 4
Brighton, VT 05846
fwboard.essex@gmail.com
(802) 723-6678
April 25, 2018 to February 29, 2024

Peter W. Allard
Franklin County
18 Country Club Estates
Swanton VT 05488-
fwboard.franklin@gmail.com
(802) 527-7381
March 1, 2013 to February 28, 2019

Johanna Laggis
Caledonia County
589 Hardwick Farms Rd.
East Hardwick VT 05836
fwboard.caledonia@gmail.com
(802) 472-6161
Mar 1 2014 to Feb 29, 2020

Tim Biebel
Windsor County
267 Taylor Drive
Windsor, VT 05089
fwboard.windsor@gmail.com
(603) 738-9776
March 1, 2016 to Feb 28, 2022

Bryan H. McCarthy
Grand Isle County
346 Rockledge Drive
North Hero, VT 05474
fwboard.grandisle@gmail.com
(802) 378-5163
July 1, 2018 to February 29, 2024

Wendy Butler
Addison County
1848 Halpin Rd
New Haven, VT 05472
fwboard.addison@gmail.com
(802) 989-2378
July 1, 2018 to February 28, 2022

Dennis Mewes
Windham County
1037 Kipling Road
Dummerston VT 05301
fwboard.windham@gmail.com
(802) 257-1633
April 1, 2015 to Feb 28, 2021

Theresa Elmer
Washington County
1308 Loop Road
Northfield VT 05663
fwboard.washington@gmail.com
(802) 485-7184
March 1, 2013 to February 28, 2019

William Pickens
Lamoille County
2984 Elmore Pond Road
Wolcott VT 05680
fwboard.lamoille@gmail.com
(802) 888-3736
April 1, 2015 to Feb 28, 2021

David Fielding Jr.
Bennington County
47 Cross Road
Manchester Ctr., VT 05255
fwboard.bennington@gmail.com
(802) 362-0049
March 1, 2016 to Feb 28, 2022

David Robillard
Orleans County
5589 E. Hill
North Troy, VT 05859
fwboard.orleans@gmail.com
(802) 744-4022
Mar 1, 2017 to Feb 28, 2023

Cheryl Frank Sullivan
Chittenden County
PO Box 371
Underhill VT 05489
vtfwbchittenden@gmail.com
(802) 233-6192
Mar 1, 2014 to Feb 29, 2020

Brian Wiles
Rutland County
PO Box 139
Forest Dale, VT 05745
fwboard.rutland@gmail.com
(802) 349-8766
Mar 24, 2017 to Feb 28, 2023
Bill
"POINTER"
popster

Post by popster »

VPR Digital Article Feb 1

VERMONT FISH STOCKS COULD DROP FOR YEARS UNDER BUDGET PLAN

http://digital.vpr.net/post/vermont-fis ... n#stream/0
Last edited by popster on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
"POINTER"
bagman

Post by bagman »

Thank you Popster
popster

Post by popster »

From VT.gov site:

FISH AND WILDLIFE BOARD
Establishing Statute: 10 VSA Ch 103 § 4041
Department:  Agency of Natural Resources

Description: This board is responsible for the conservation of fish, wildlife and plants and their habitats for the people of Vermont and to protect the integrity, vitality and diversity of all natural systems.
The duties of this board are diverse and include such things as collecting fish and wildlife population data, protecting important wildlife habitat, raising fish, enforcing laws, developing educational materials and providing customer service through the mail and over the phone.
Bill
"POINTER"