Salisbury Hatchery to close PETITION ADDED!!!!

Share info on fishing Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: Salisbury Hatchery to close PETITION ADDED!!!!

Post by keithm87 »

These morons who think that fishing with anything other than a fly is wrong and that catching anything but brookies is wrong need a swift kick in the teeth. They are missing the vital point: if I can’t catch a rainbow, or brown in the river, I’m going to rip lips qof 6 inch brookies, and when there are no 6 inch brookies, there won’t be any precious fish for them to target. They are missing what makes stocking vital, it props up the sport. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US caught our first fish on a hook and worm! The elitist fly fishermen did the same, but they want to take away that opertunity from future kids, and expect some how that 6 year olds are going to get hit by the fishing bug casting a 14 foot fly rod that they can’t control.
Last edited by keithm87 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

I'm not a member of TU but this guy is a lone wolf. He has 26 signatures on his petition. All chapters and the Vermont council of tu publicly opposed the closing and brought a lot of pressure on the gov. We as fisherman need all the support we can put together. Think or put some research in before you lash out at a whole group its counterproductive. Frankly I don't care what a person fishes with
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

The guy runs a group called the Native Fish Coalition which is backed by TU (at least backed by the NH and seemingly ME TU chapters). While the Vermont chapter of TU may be on board with stocking, and maintaining the hatchery, other chapters and the national organization have pushed for fly only fishing and an end to stocking in many places. I may have been a little liquored when I said morons in the prior post, but TU is not on a national scale a friend to our fishing methods.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

If a stream can support and sustain a wild trout population then I would support not stocking it. Stockies will only compete with the wild fish for available food. So in some cases it makes sense.. Now for TU . They donated the first $10,000 and kicked the state in the pants to build the Malletts Bay boat launch. They were instrumental in creating this salmonoid fishery and the construction of the Grand Isle hatchery. TU raised the first (33,000 ) steelhead stocked in a lake champlain trib in a pond in Jericho. So whatever the method I consider them friends