WINTER WORKSHOPS

Share info on fishing Champlain.
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

WINTER WORKSHOPS

Post by homewrecker »

Hello my fellow Angler’s this years Winter Workshops will not take place. I am hoping that next year we can find a team willing to undertake the organization of these events. I am feeling burned out on this and due to Family commitments can’t continue to do this. I am willing to help with it next year if a team is willing to step up. Sorry I truly enjoyed these events and will miss your smiling faces. Till we met again, Fish On! Dean
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: WINTER WORKSHOPS

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Very sorry to hear there won't be a workshop this year. I'll miss it a lot.
Thanks a lot Dean and everyone else involved during all these years.
I hope a team can be assembled and continue this wonderful tradition.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Dean - You and the crew did a great job! Thank you. I'm sorry that Workshops are now on hold. What started as a tremedous get together grew to include some fantastic presentations, as our fleet numbers also grew, but I know that administration isn't easy. Maybe continued successful turn-out for DYP and Shoot-Out can supplant what started as pizza and lure taping in a a garage, but I'll miss the science that you were able to bring over the past few years! If a 2020 team is being assembled, please let me know what I can do.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Well this was inevitable.. The time and effort by Dean and the seminar planning team was not trivial and it was only a matter of time before they could not be sustained. The great thing is we had some very memorable events that really brought the fishing public together and they all had a lot of energy that showed the passion of the LCU community. This passion is not gone and there will be other LCU events each year to fill gaps, and maybe we can return to this or a similar format some day when the time is right. There is truly a need to get fisherman together during the cold months to network and mingle to keep each other from going CRAZY.

Many Thanks to Dean, Rob, Bill, Gerry&David, Ron, and the others who made these events what they became. Your steward ship to the lake and the fishing public in general is just amazing.

All the best guys! :arrow: Fish ON!
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

It was a great run of 10 years! 5 years ago I was feeling the strain with family life and Dean took it over graciously. When we moved out of my garage to start this at VT Home and Marine we ran the seminar 3X during the winter months. Hard to believe! We started the speaking segment on year 5 and outgrew Vt Home's space and when Dean took it over and hosted it at the Miller Center the perfect venue. 2 events for 4 years and last year we did just one event. Lots of help from Gerry and David kept the train rolling well with videotaping the presentations. Bill Lowell has been a huge help with the duties of pulling this off as well. In all close to 25 of these events have been held over the 10 years. Last year I was only available the first 30 minutes before running over to basketball game for my daughter. A bit overwhelming now with my kids in basketball every weekend as teenagers. Hopefully some folks can pull it off for 2020.

A great run as Matt said. :)
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

I have to agree with all the previous posts. It certainly was a good run and a big thanks to all of our sponsors for their support as well as the many wonderful guest speakers (listed below) we’ve had over the years.
A special thanks to the Workshop Committee of Dean, Ron, Rob, Mike, and Gerry & David, our friends from the North.
I apologize to any I missed.

VTFW
LOUIS PORTER
BRIAN CHIPMAN
BERNIE PIENTKA
LEN GERARDI
MIKE WICHROWSKI
DANA JOYAL
BOB CURRIER
CAROLINE BLAKE
KEVIN KELSEY

USFW
ANDREW MILLIKEN
BILL ARDREN
DR BRYAN KLUEVER
ANDREW HARBICHT
BRAD YOUNG
TONY CURTIS

UVM
ELLEN MARSDEN
TORI PINHEIRO

SUNY PLATTSBURGH
MARK MALCHOFF
ERIC LEIBENSPERGER

MIDDLEBURY
TOM MANLEY

PLUS
BILL JACOBUS
KEITH CHAMBERLAIN
MATT TROMBLEY
CHRIS GATLEY
RON WINTER
Bill
"POINTER"
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Sorry to hear this, Dean. My son and I only went to the workshops the last 2 years, but we really enjoyed them. From putting so many faces with the names on this board, to the seminars, to the raffles ... it was a great experience for a couple of relative newcomers.

Thanks so much for all of your work to put these together. Here's hoping someone can carry the torch next year.

Shaun
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I too am going to miss the Workshops. It was always fun to get together and learn from the speakers. Much credit to Ron for getting the ball rolling, and Dean, with Bill, Rob, Gerry and all taking up the slack. Also thanks to the many sponsors.

If I had one complaint, it would be that there wasn't enough time for socializing, either before, during or after the speaking events. Maybe we should consider an informal get-together with a meal and a cash bar, or some other function where we just hang out and tell lies. Raz could emcee, and tell off color jokes. Deano could try the alligator stew again. Gecha could film it all and blackmail us later. Maybe even have dancing girls? Anyway, just a fun get-together once in a while might be nice. Name a charity, sell a few tickets.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

C-Hawk wrote:I too am going to miss the Workshops. It was always fun to get together and learn from the speakers. Much credit to Ron for getting the ball rolling, and Dean, with Bill, Rob, Gerry and all taking up the slack. Also thanks to the many sponsors.

If I had one complaint, it would be that there wasn't enough time for socializing, either before, during or after the speaking events. Maybe we should consider an informal get-together with a meal and a cash bar, or some other function where we just hang out and tell lies. Raz could emcee, and tell off color jokes. Deano could try the alligator stew again. Gecha could film it all and blackmail us later. Maybe even have dancing girls? Anyway, just a fun get-together once in a while might be nice. Name a charity, sell a few tickets.
You know Raz and I discussed a annual banquet style winter gathering where we could order food and drinks and listen to a few speakers. The raffle prizes would still be a challenge but in the right venue it could be free and easy..

Thanks for the idea Jeff... there is a need for something like this. The group we got together was a truly special lot!
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:
C-Hawk wrote:I too am going to miss the Workshops. It was always fun to get together and learn from the speakers. Much credit to Ron for getting the ball rolling, and Dean, with Bill, Rob, Gerry and all taking up the slack. Also thanks to the many sponsors.

You know Raz and I discussed a annual banquet style winter gathering where we could order food and drinks and listen to a few speakers. The raffle prizes would still be a challenge but in the right venue it could be free and easy..

Thanks for the idea Jeff... there is a need for something like this. The group we got together was a truly special lot!
x2
Ancient Mariner
Species: salmon lake trout walleye

Post by Ancient Mariner »

This sounds like a great idea. I will pass this on to the trustees at the Eagles club in south Burlington. They have the perfect venue for this. Their banquet room can hold 100 people has it's own bar and a full kitchen. If interested e-mail me tkarlh44@gmail.com. Let's do this.
T. Karl
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

That would be a good option. Leave out the raffle segment as that drives a lot of work for a few people every year. Simpler the better just like Randy's Shoot-Out. Good option Karl as I remember you offering the Eagles club about the time we were a few sessions into the Miller Center. I like the socializing part as that's how it all started.
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

I also like this idea.

Thinking about the efforts that went into the spring seminars, I would first like to thank those who worked so hard to make these informative, and, with all the donated merchandise, very exciting.

I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that first asking for the many items in the raffle, and then actually collecting and arranging the donated merchandise might have been a lot of the work that went into each spring seminar/get together. And I am aware that the proceeds for the raffle went to help youth get started in outdoor activities via the scholarships or underwriting of the VT Fish and Game camps.

It might be easier to collect for our events just a few prizes - maybe 25% off certificates from the businesses that previously supported the event, "guided" outings on the lake with those who own boats, restaurant discount certificates, lodging nights with one night free with purchase of another, etc. Maybe a grand prize or two as well. All of these prizes, as usual, given out via raffle tickets purchase by attendees. This might make it easier on the businesses who have supported us and, at the same time, more or less guarantee that their contribution(s) bring customers into their places of business. We could also have a 50/50 raffle. So we would be trying, as has been done in the past, to raise money for the youth camps.

The Eagles club suggestion would eliminate ordering the pizza and buying beverages.

I realize what I am suggesting is not going to be as good or as loaded with swag as the previous seminars, but it would be simpler to organize and put on.

I hope that if we do manage to have a winter get-together we can get at least one speaker from the VT or NY fisheries departments to give us an update on, my favorite here, the salmon population.

Just my thoughts. And again my appreciation for the efforts of the forum members who have contributed to make these events (including the Frostbite Shootout) popular and successful in the past.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Maybe another transition going on here?
C-Hawk