Brian Bashaw (Peru NY) 12/27/18 R.I.P.

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Brian Bashaw (Peru NY) 12/27/18 R.I.P.

Post by digitroll (ron) »

http://obituaries.pressrepublican.com/o ... erm=217305

Ronald Winter
Dec 28, 2018
I never met Brian...but after he won so many All Season LCI annual contests I called him up in 2003 to see if he would share some secrets. He was pretty straight forward about how much trolling he did at night out of his 14 ft open utility boat on Champlain and fished most every night in June-September out solo. Dragging J-9 Rapala's and covering water from Valcour to Four Brothers. He worked for his trophy walleyes and would go weeks without landing a single fish before catching the money winner he was looking for. Pretty simple formula and hard work to achieve it. Rest in peace Brian.

He is currently in 3rd place Bowfin and 1st and 3rd in Walleye in the Basin LCI annual contest. No surprise!
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Brian Bashaw (Peru NY) 12/27/18

Post by fishy1 »

ron thanks for posting this i was shocked when i saw that in the obituary in the press. he was an outstanding fisherman and dedicated to his daughter. he gave me lots of same info he gave you and yes he went nights without catching a trophy eye but he always got the trophy and won the lci. rip brian
digitroll (ron)

It's interesting.... People would poo poo the idea of trolling deep water and putting time in with weeks of no bites. But he was looking for 9 lb plus fish and some double digits. Those fish are solitary nomadic specimens not typically found in (schoolies) on the reefs. He was ahead of his time!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

im not sure if i remember everything but i think he told me he used large sonars trolling and a thunderstick on the other rod brian was also fishing in a 16 foot sylvan he won in the lci fathers days derby. i went fishing today down on southern champlain and talked to scott (channelcat) about brian. his fishing ability for trophy fish was outstanding. i am so sorry for his daughter who he cherished and was his fishing partner.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

RIP.. Another fine fisherman....

May he have nothing but tight lines from here on out. :cry:
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

With Brian it was "Go big or Go home"
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Brian Bashaw (Peru NY) 12/27/18 R.I.P.

Post by tamiron »

A person who appears to have tried to leave the world a better place than he found it, by sharing his knowledge wit others. May he rest in peace.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:With Brian it was "Go big or Go home"
x2
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Re: Brian Bashaw (Peru NY) 12/27/18 R.I.P.

Post by Committed (DA) »

I saw Brian every year when I worked for the LCI at the weigh station in plattsburgh. A total stand up guy and i always looked forward to talking with him and seeing his excitement fishing with his dad and daughter. He always made my day when i saw him come in with a fish, cause it was usually a beauty.
RIP my friend, tight lines and god speed.

DA
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"