Frostbite Use Products & Tricks for Ease of Sport

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Frostbite Use Products & Tricks for Ease of Sport

Post by Surprise »

Let's list some of the things we use & do to make things go well when the weather is Challenging .

Here are the bunk covers put on my Trailer bunks to keep the boat from freezing to the trailer.
I found them easy to install and very durable in use.

http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/marin ... kWraps.php

When launching and retrieving allow your trailer to drain before going up the ramp. It will prevent icing the ramp. You and anyone following will be happier for it.

Upon retrieving your boat lower motor and restart running 10 seconds to flush all water from the system. When getting home lower motor so water snow doesn't get in hub exhaust.

Remove bilge plug and store in transom drain hole. Reinstall into bilge after raising motor to trailer away. That habit will prevent forgetting to install plug.

Cover your entire Downrigger with a trash bag or have canvas covers made that will prevent icing the riggers from any spray from the trip to the fishing grounds. It will keep your rigger clean from road grime and salt .

When setting up Drop the riggers to soak the releases. Set your side lines then come back to set your downrigger lines as your releases may be thawed.

From my old Big Jon's

My Scotty Covers in background.
Last edited by Surprise on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fish On!
digitroll (ron)

Re: Frostbite Use Products & Tricks for Ease of Sport

Post by digitroll (ron) »

You Tube video on clearing overnight ice at the ramp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-PABRfVv4
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Ron - I'm not good with pictures here, but a few other Frost Bite suggestions: Sand for the ramp, guide/line lube, dodgers (it seems counter-intuitive, but my experience is that they are better in the deep cold than "most" of the rest of the year), red/purple (steelhead are active), mono leaders instead of fluoro, lead core, and mini disks! AND life jackets! Just a few thoughts. Of course, with Serenity on the hard, I'm dependent on my cell phone and network too, and while it has been working in spades I need to restructure my work program. I'm very grateful, but I've had to turn down FAR TOO MANY invites lately and I'm looking forward to resuming efforts with the Fleet. PS.. Bonus to deck monkeys working without gloves and Todd is right, Up then Down!
fishnazi
Species: salmon

Post by fishnazi »

I agree with using dodgers this time of the year. Chrome w/red tandem fly has worked well for LL’s. I would also recommend checking the outboard thermostat- Cold water and cold air will cause condensation in the engine oil if the stat is stuck open.
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

bunk wraps look great ive been having to soak the boat on the trailer till it unfreezes before i can launch.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

For some reason; I never had issues with Reelax freezing the trailer... it could be the smeltrite washdown she gets after each trip :geek: ... not sure...
Matt B