Pike in Lake Champlain?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
pnutbutter
Species: Trout

Pike in Lake Champlain?

Post by pnutbutter »

Hi everyone.

I'm new to Vermont, almost all of my fishing has been out west. I hooked a pike a couple of weeks ago in a small lake near Burlington. It was great.

I don't know much about these fish at all, and even less about them in Lake Champlain specifically. Can anyone recommend types of habitat, or general areas where I could find them in Champlain? Is any time of year better for catching pike than others?

Thanks!
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Pike in Lake Champlain?

Post by fishy1 »

pike are predators so normally you will find them in shallow water in heavy weeds or grass feeding but they will also hit once in awhile while there suspended in deeper water near drop offs. i always look for schools of perch for locating pike. through the ice with tip ups is fun with large bait on and when i do target them i set my bait on bottom. everyone has different techniques. right now with right water temperature you can catch pike in less than 5 feet of water. hope this helps just my experiences with pike over the years.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I always used to like trolling for Pike. We would work either side of the points, outside edges of weed beds, and back and forth on the drop-offs. Use big jointed plugs and don't be without a red and white Dare-Devil, especially with the double weedless hook. This spring we caught about a half dozen decent Pike 40 ' down on salmon spoons. Never know. Also as compared to the last several years, the pike seem clean and healthy, with no ulcers. Maybe the virus has run it's course. More numbers also.
pnutbutter
Species: Trout

Post by pnutbutter »

Thanks!
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

This time of year mouths of rivers and streams are good areas to find them.
Lake is low though makes it difficult.
High Plains Drifter