Jigging vs Trolling

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Jigging vs Trolling

Post by C-Hawk »

I just want to comment a bit on the new popularity of lake trout jigging on Champlain. This relatively newly popular practice has enticed a whole new range of anglers to try their hand at catching Lakers that they may have thought were inaccessible to them years ago. I have seen guys in 12' Jon boats out in the middle of the Lake on calm days, and more power to them, but I wouldn't be any further from shore in one than I could walk. I have seen bass boats screaming from one side of the Lake to the other put on the brakes and jig. I see 42' cruisers stop and jig, and yes, even sailboats. I too will do it , but find it a little boring when the bite is off, and too much work with my boat in a breeze. I have no problem with the sport as there are too many Lakers as it is in my opinion ( stock less Lakers and more salmon anybody?). I was catching Lakers jigging, in the Quabbin Reservoir 40 years ago, Champlain20 years ago, this is in reality not that new.

What's changed, is the mapping technology. Some of the better lake trout humps never appeared on most fish finders even as little as 5 years ago. With the Navionics update programming, little by little I have seen some of these humps show up, and also become much more accurately portrayed. On every one of these humps, a particular spot will hold more fish than the rest of it, and this is where my complaint lies, and I am not talking about only Lakers now. I have spent years learning my spots, marking things with waypoints on a non Navionics chip, and in a few short years , anybody has the ability to find fish in a hurry. I give credit to Will, as he also works hard to find his spots, but to some of these guys, don't be surprised if a troller runs by you at 100' or less. It is disappointing to set up a quarter mile from my target spot and have a bass boat stop and jig right in front of you. Many of these edges hold salmon, and chances are I'm not going to spook your fish. The newcomers have to realize that some of us have been fishing these spots for years, so please give a little room. Let us by and go back, it won't kill you. Also feeding Lakers seem to be in tighter schools than they were before alewifes. Years ago you could troll the length of Stave and catch fish all the way. Now you must hit the sweetspot.

I have no problem with jiggers, but as newcomers to an area that has historically been the domain of seasoned trollers, be polite. I have been by guys jigging close enough to talk, and have not had a confrontation and find them mostly pleasant and liking to share info. But, I can see the potential for confrontation and have heard of such things already. To the jiggers; just remember that many of your spots wouldn't show on your Navionics if we weren't there first.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Jigging vs Trolling

Post by fishy1 »

i havent seen any problems with jiggers vs trollers but have heard comments about it. where jiggers will go out and set up on a hump on the trollers gps line. i only been out once jigging and that was with jimmer 2 weekends ago and i only witnessed one troller on the vt side but saw several jigging boats mostly charter captains. this was in the 4 brothers area jeff. do you think there is a solution here as to how all fisherman can co-exist. down here on the southern end of the lake i dont see a problem .
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I haven't had any real problems Matt, just having to change my course and not hit a particular spot that I would like to have. I put this on FB and got some very negative responses, and it tells of the character of some people, they do not want to share the water, and some seem like they want to be intentionally antastonistic. I meant this post just to be a tool to help raise awareness, not to denigrate someone else's way of fishing.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

The greatest one is when you are trolling an area and they see you hook up and immediately move to where you hooked up and anchor so you cant continue to fish you're run. Its happening way to much. I do believe Navionics has ruined many of the good spots that use to take time to find now you can drive right to them no more searching.
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

I dont let it bother me. Its similar to ice fishing. As soon as they see your catching fish you have company.
I dont own the lake so theres nothing I can do about it.
I jig for perch off my boat in early summer using my Vexilar, haven't tried lakers yet but might have to try it.
Cant beat em' join em'.
High Plains Drifter
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I can understand the jigging thing. Not for me, but as someone just said I don't own the lake.
However, I have about had it with sailboats under power taking me off my line. They on the other hand think they own the lake. I know this was on another thread and I don't mean to change the subject....but enough is enough. No courtesy from those sailors.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I have never jigged in freshwater. A couple times on a party boat for Cod 30 years ago out of NH. The metaphor for jigging and trollers for me would be snowboarders vs. skiers. :) One was there first but both should share the water or the slopes.

I have heard on Magog the jigging for salmon and steelhead now greatly outnumber the trollers.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

C-Hawk wrote:I have spent years learning my spots, marking things with waypoints on a non Navionics chip, and in a few short years , anybody has the ability to find fish in a hurry. But, I can see the potential for confrontation and have heard of such things already. To the jiggers; just remember that many of your spots wouldn't show on your Navionics if we weren't there first.
C-Hawk - This isn't a new complaint. A few years ago, many saltwater boats forbid GPS and "tech phones" for fear of giving up "their spots." As tech has improved, it has allowed many to become "better" anglers. The better boats have adapted. The fact that your "spot" (presumably because you were "first") has become more available, shouldn't deter you. Courtesy should reign, but we all need to be flexible. It's a big lake! We all just need to get along.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I'm fine with jigging, just don't set up on my obvious path.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Chaps my ass as well! I have a few spots I do well on, but trolling is a game of slow turns and getting back to a spot takes a few minutes. Nothing bugs me more than catching a fish and seeing someone move into that spot. Trying to use i-Pilot courses is not possible when someone hops on ur recorded path.