Lakers mortality

Share info on fishing Champlain.
MeanGreen
Species: lake trout

Re: Lakers mortality

Post by MeanGreen »

Cap't Paul
I'm not sure what is the right way to handle but when I go on the facebook pages of unnamed charter captains they update almost every day with several pics of people with their hands in gills holding lakers vertically. So either it doesn't really hurt the fish or many of these fish are doomed. I do have to think that jigging them up when the thermocline is way down at 60+ft must hurt their chances for survival.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

MeanGreen wrote:Cap't Paul
I'm not sure what is the right way to handle but when I go on the facebook pages of unnamed charter captains they update almost every day with several pics of people with their hands in gills holding lakers vertically. So either it doesn't really hurt the fish or many of these fish are doomed. I do have to think that jigging them up when the thermocline is way down at 60+ft must hurt their chances for survival.
Depending on who's page you look at if you are looking at Sure Strike Charters page the ones that are being held by the gills are already dead the ones held by the tail with belly cradled where released. I to have seen many post not just Charter Captains of peolpe holding them by the gills and at the end of the post they say all fish where released.
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

I completely agree with Capt Paul. As most of my friends have heard my talk about this very issue. Catch a limit if you can. Be thankful and move on to another species. Many years ago when we were introduced to Jigging Lakers. After realizing how easy it was. I became concerned about the possibility of the fishery being abused. I believe that estimated mortality rates are low. Especially in the summer as the big double digit lakers battle hard through layers of very warm water that they HATE! It takes a long time for a slow growing Laker to get to Trophy size. It is our responsibility as stewards of the lake to respect our fisheries do what’s right to protect their future. I encourage everyone to fish hard and respect the fish you catch and the ones you don’t.
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

When I do some jigging for lakers I use this craddle so there is minimal handling of the fish. But after reading the article I don't feel so good about using the best handling practices; in the article thay are saying that the major problem is the change of temp that cause the major problem; so in spring and late in the season the negative impact should be not that bad but this time around it could be a big problem. So in the peak of the summer the fish that are bring in the boat should be kept and count in the daily limit.

I also think that the same thing could be apply to the salmon not for the same reason but for the same ended result: dying fish and I think it's even worst for the salmon because it's a more sensitive species.
I think it's a good thing to think of those subjects and made us better "conservation" fisherman.

NB: for the salmon it's not a problem this year!
MeanGreen
Species: lake trout

Post by MeanGreen »

Captain Paul,
I'm pointing out the charter guys who hold all their fish vertically AND with hands in gills. It is not that they jig...but how the fish. I see lots of complaints on this forum about how the Champlain fishery is suffering. Somehow getting these specific charter guys to recognize the 'right way' to handle fish would likely improve the overall fishery.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Interesting about the fish coming up thru the bands of hot water from the study. We try to release them with needle nose pliers in the water without touching the fish or netting them. We don't target Lake Trout but there so abundant they can become a nuisance at times. We will pick up and move on plane to a different location.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

MeanGreen wrote:Captain Paul,
I'm pointing out the charter guys who hold all their fish vertically AND with hands in gills. It is not that they jig...but how the fish. I see lots of complaints on this forum about how the Champlain fishery is suffering. Somehow getting these specific charter guys to recognize the 'right way' to handle fish would likely improve the overall fishery.
I agree