Hatchery cove public meeting summary

Share info on fishing Champlain.
bagman
Species: trout

Hatchery cove public meeting summary

Post by bagman »

As an attendee at this meeting I will try to provide a summary since I feel this issue is extremely important to the health and continuation of our salmon fishery. Data has shown the return rate of feral vs. hatchery brood stock fish at a 2.4 to 1 rate which demonstates how important these returning fish are. Attendance was light. Brian Chipman discussed a number of problems that seem to have gotten worse over time in the cove area and primarily in front of hatchery stream. These range from folks actually putting wood and other barriers there to obstruct the entrance to fish, many unethical fishing techniques ( snagging, lifting) and conflicts between fisherman. Wardens were in attendance and concurred with these problems. They also talked about resources and how they are stretched extremely thin during the times salmon congregate in the cove. Deer season, duck hunting etc. Brian did discuss some alternatives that could be enacted to help prevent the problems in the cove. Single hook, c&r, fly fishing only. Upon opening up for comments I stated the cove should be closed to fishing entirely since these fish are the key to the future of the program and there are many other alternatives for stream fishing salmon. Also it would just make more work for the over burdened wardens to enforce any regulations. The overall consensus in the room was to support closing the cove with boundaries. There were a couple of folks who did talk of the fact that they enjoyed fishing there and also were able to because of personal physical limitations. It was discussed that fishing would still be legal slightly north of the proposed closed area. There were no decisions made since this was only a hearing. It seemed to me that the dept would be leaning toward closing the cove. The next step would be for the results and recommendations to be presented to the commissioner. If you support the cove closing I urge you to email head of F&W Louis Porter and let him know since he will be the deciding factor.
His email is Louis.porter@vermont.gov
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Hatchery cove public meeting summary

Post by tmcaul »

I want to extend a big THANK YOU to bagman for attending and providing a detailed summary of the meeting.

It seems to me, and I have never fished there, that closing the cove is the only alternative that doesn't pose a difficult burden on enforcement at a time of year when wardens are already very busy. As with all other regulations, a few people will be impacted negatively, those who have "personal physical limitations". But for the overall good, it seems to me that closing is the answer.

Just my thoughts. Happy to hear others'.

Again thanks, bagman.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund