Slide diver setups

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Slide diver setups

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Hi all,
I/we have very much appreciated all of the tips and fishing reports on this board. Everyone has been very helpful. I have another question: :roll:

We recently lost one of our dipsy divers and purchased a lite bite slide diver. I've set up the slide diver, so far, such that it mimics a dipsy diver except for the lite bite function which I do use and it works very well! So the part I don't use is the sliding part. Is there advantage to using a really long leader to the lure? I know on a dipsy diver it isn't practical unless you want to bring the line in by hand-over-hand, but on the slide diver, once it's triggered, I think it slides all the way back to maybe a swivel point or the lure.

Do most people run a really long leader or line between the slide diver and the lure, or more along the dipsy diver distance of around 6'? I'm wondering if part of our issue is that the divers are spooking the fish because they're only 6' in front of the lure.

Thanks,
Terri
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Re: Slide driver setups

Post by Dirtyhooker »

I run 10-12 ft on my dipseys. On the slide diver I run 50-60' back I do believe at times the disc does spook fish. Other days though it can be an attractor.I hate dipseys :evil: BUT they catch fish :mrgreen: So there is almost always a diver rod somewhere in my spread.
Scott
So many Lures So little Time
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Icedawg wrote:I run 10-12 ft on my dipseys. On the slide diver I run 50-60' back I do believe at times the disc does spook fish. Other days though it can be an attractor.I hate dipseys :evil: BUT they catch fish :mrgreen: So there is almost always a diver rod somewhere in my spread.
Scott
Thanks Scott!
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

No doubt the Slide Divers are an awesome addition to any arsenal! I run them on Champlain with a braid mainline & a 50 ft leader of 20 pound mono. This gives me the flexibility to rig the set back as far as needed. Each day i experiment, let the fish tell you weather they are spooky or not? For example.....I will run the port side say 12ft back & the Starboard 20 ft back. See which takes hits. If the 20 takes more I will extend the other and possibly a bit further. When I am running normal divers on Ontario I run them on wire (as 95% of the folks out there do) There is no reason the slide divers wouldnt work on Onatrio.....as I did catch fish on them as well....but you have to change the leader strength as Kings are just mean animals!! With the normal divers I run a long leader,,,,usually close to 10ft. A pain in the but to get a 30 pound King in the Net with long leads....but....when they are disc shy the longer lead has increased hook ups!
So the long & short.......with the smaller lures and smaller fish we work with here on Champlain the slide divers DEF have thier nitch! They are an intragal part of my spread that will be out every time I am running for Salmon!
Good luck! :D
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Hi Fishinglady

The advantages of running lite bites over dispeys are endless. The more you run them the more you will like them. On smaller lakes where small fish like perch and even smelt will trigger the lite bite, you would drag them all day on dipseys. Versatility to run as far as needed behind the diver. If a big fish wants to run they can run through it rather than use it for leverage as they can do with a dipsey. These are done of the advantages.
Good luck
Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Flashpoint wrote:No doubt the Slide Divers are an awesome addition to any arsenal! I run them on Champlain with a braid mainline & a 50 ft leader of 20 pound mono. This gives me the flexibility to rig the set back as far as needed. Each day i experiment, let the fish tell you weather they are spooky or not? For example.....I will run the port side say 12ft back & the Starboard 20 ft back. See which takes hits. If the 20 takes more I will extend the other and possibly a bit further. When I am running normal divers on Ontario I run them on wire (as 95% of the folks out there do) There is no reason the slide divers wouldnt work on Onatrio.....as I did catch fish on them as well....but you have to change the leader strength as Kings are just mean animals!! With the normal divers I run a long leader,,,,usually close to 10ft. A pain in the but to get a 30 pound King in the Net with long leads....but....when they are disc shy the longer lead has increased hook ups!
So the long & short.......with the smaller lures and smaller fish we work with here on Champlain the slide divers DEF have thier nitch! They are an intragal part of my spread that will be out every time I am running for Salmon!
Thanks Flashpoint. We do some of the experimenting like different lure depths and different water depths and lure colors, but looks like we need to change even more variables (like leader length) with the divers. Since we don't use down riggers we typically use two divers and one lead core line. I have seen a couple of reports of lake Ontario fishing and I think we're going to have to schedule a trip! That looks like great fun!

Terri
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Thorny wrote:Hi Fishinglady

The advantages of running lite bites over dispeys are endless. The more you run them the more you will like them. On smaller lakes where small fish like perch and even smelt will trigger the lite bite, you would drag them all day on dipseys. Versatility to run as far as needed behind the diver. If a big fish wants to run they can run through it rather than use it for leverage as they can do with a dipsey. These are done of the advantages.
Good luck
Thorny
Thanks Thorny, I couldn't agree more. What I like about the lite bite is that once it does the release on a small fish, it'll allow the fish to show it's presence better. I think this is because the drag of the diver is gone, which allows even a small fish to show much more action on the line. On the Dipsy, you have to keep your eye constantly on the rod tip because a small fish just gives 1 or 2 ticks and then it's just a little more drag that isn't perceptible and you end up dragging that poor perch for miles. On both our lead core and dipsy, we drag fish and on the slide diver, so far, we've noticed each hit and brought the fish up right away.
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

I typically run most baits 25-50' past the diver. It was the way I was taught. And it works!!
digitroll (ron)

Re: Slide diver setups

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Hoping to create a two part video demo on the Digitroll to post here on the use of the TD Fishhawk and the Lite Slide Diver combo.

R
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Hoping to create a two part video demo on the Digitroll to post here on the use of the TD Fishhawk and the Lite Slide Diver combo.

R
That sounds like it would be a fun project.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Shortstop
Species: Any

Post by Shortstop »

IF you go to Fish Doctor's charters : http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/templ ... ctor=video

There are several very good videos and one is about the lite bite slide diver.

Bob
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Hoping to create a two part video demo on the Digitroll to post here on the use of the TD Fishhawk and the Lite Slide Diver combo.

R
NIce! Cant wait Ron!
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Vtfishinglady wrote:
Flashpoint wrote:No doubt the Slide Divers are an awesome addition to any arsenal! I run them on Champlain with a braid mainline & a 50 ft leader of 20 pound mono. This gives me the flexibility to rig the set back as far as needed. Each day i experiment, let the fish tell you weather they are spooky or not? For example.....I will run the port side say 12ft back & the Starboard 20 ft back. See which takes hits. If the 20 takes more I will extend the other and possibly a bit further. When I am running normal divers on Ontario I run them on wire (as 95% of the folks out there do) There is no reason the slide divers wouldnt work on Onatrio.....as I did catch fish on them as well....but you have to change the leader strength as Kings are just mean animals!! With the normal divers I run a long leader,,,,usually close to 10ft. A pain in the but to get a 30 pound King in the Net with long leads....but....when they are disc shy the longer lead has increased hook ups!
Thanks Flashpoint. We do some of the experimenting like different lure depths and different water depths and lure colors, but looks like we need to change even more variables (like leader length) with the divers. Since we don't use down riggers we typically use two divers and one lead core line. I have seen a couple of reports of lake Ontario fishing and I think we're going to have to schedule a trip! That looks like great fun!

Terri
Drop me a PM Terri.....love to have you abaord on Lake O' next year! Will be at the Yankee Classic so we can chat in person!