Future salmon fisherwoman?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Future salmon fisherwoman?

Post by Cas »

So, I tell my daughter I want to take her fishing this weekend, ask her which friend she'd like to bring along. I mention to my wife I'm planning on hitting the Inland Sea, as there appears to be abundant perch, so there should be some fairly constant action, figuring that's what would be best for the kids. And my daughter says to me "But what if I want to catch a salmon?"

Priceless...
________
Mike
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Future salmon fisherwoman?

Post by Reelax »

Gotta like it... I think she has your blood in her Mike!
Matt B
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

That's is awesome.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

All 3 of my kids went fishing with me, but they lost interest by the time they were teens. At least they had the opportunity and that's all I could do. I have great pics of those times and maybe I'll be able to pass some experience to grandkids if I am so blessed. They are the future of the sport and I love to see the smiling faces when they latch on to a fish.
Enjoy the fishing and the father/daughter time. They grow up way too fast.
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

When it comes to kids and fishing.... all I can say is "get kids hooked on fishing - not on drugs" and by golly you can't go wrong.

I introduced my kids to fishing when they were very young. My son started fishing with me when he was 2 years old. By the time he was four years old I could not leave home with my boat without him and he was planning ahead for fishing adventures on all my days off from work. My daughter never became a great fisher girl or woman but she did enjoy some fun days with dad fishing, as long as dad baited her hook and removed the fish. While my son is just like his dad and has fishing in his blood.

My two little kids are now grown and on their own. I can honestly say that my kids never had any interest in drugs thank God. Now my son owns a Ranger Bass boat because he is hooked on fishing. He also is anti-drugs and loves his job in the Coast Guard where has the oppurtunity to bust those who want to introduce drugs to our kids.

Keep having fun with those kids and take them fishing whenever you can. They just grow up too fast!
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

yup...priceless!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

That's good stuff Cas!

I'll add that my Dad took me fishing and hunting starting when I was very young. I have always stayed with Hunting and at times got away from fishing just due to other interests and time pressures. I cherish the memories of my Dad taking me out and I am appreciative of the time he took teaching me hunting safety as well as fishing techniques and fun times that can be shared through it.
I have gotten back into fishing and I am loving it. The valuable thing for me is that it is one of the things we can share together now that his health is not the best. Sort of a "what comes around thing" I guess. I hope I am showing the same patience and adding to his experience through his tangles and snags as he did with me when I was young.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

fishmaster176 wrote:All 3 of my kids went fishing with me, but they lost interest by the time they were teens. At least they had the opportunity and that's all I could do. I have great pics of those times and maybe I'll be able to pass some experience to grandkids if I am so blessed. They are the future of the sport and I love to see the smiling faces when they latch on to a fish.
If you took them fishing, they will come back to it later in life... You planted the seed.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Reelax wrote:
fishmaster176 wrote:All 3 of my kids went fishing with me, but they lost interest by the time they were teens. At least they had the opportunity and that's all I could do. I have great pics of those times and maybe I'll be able to pass some experience to grandkids if I am so blessed. They are the future of the sport and I love to see the smiling faces when they latch on to a fish.
If you took them fishing, they will come back to it later in life... You planted the seed.

That's very true..I used to fish with my father when I was younger almost every day on the Winooski river near Bolton. When I was about 12 I moved to Winooski, stopped fishing....until I was about 18 after a few years of dating my girlfriend and getting to know her family, her father was big into fishing, so I started going again...got hooked again when it brought back memories of all the fish I caught in Winooski, sparked that flame I used to have when I was a kid, and it's still going strong!
edthehook
Species: SALMON

Post by edthehook »

I used to take my three sons fishing every opening day in my 14' open boat
with a 5 hp Johnson. Used bobbers and worms for stocked trout. Had a ball!
On other occasions I could get them to go with me, teaching them the fine
art of trolling. As they grew they developed other interests (baseball & girls!).

Now I take my 6-year old grandson. He loves to fish. Last outing we were pond fishing with worms under a bobber. He was fishing about 6' from shore
while I was casting out into the middle. He picked on me: "I caught 6 sunfish
and you didn't get any." Truth is, I landed a 10-pound snapping turtle. But I
guess I still got skunked.
Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Fishing is a great family sport/event that spans generations and genders. My 5 brothers and sisters all still love to fish and we get together every year in Michigan for a reunion on Lake Huron to go fishing and sit around camp fires. I'm sure my 3 sons will pass it on to their kids some day.

Terri
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice to see Mike! Hope it was a great outing yesterday. The weather was perfect!
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

That's awesome - nothing like time fishing with a youngster.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Got out today, weather was so perfect, my wife also tagged along for a nice boat ride as well. Only out for a couple hours, but they were excited to catch a few perch. After a couple hours of fishing and some perch, and them playing with their toys as I changed lures around, they decided it was time to swim, so up came the lines, and in they jumped. Great afternoon in September on the water.
________
Mike
Sugarpie
Species: All the ones that are hungry!

Post by Sugarpie »

That is priceless! My dad took me fishing as a kid. I fished with him until my early teens then my interests changed (for me it was softball and boys though). But now as an adult I have been bitten by the fishing bug again. You're daughter might take a break at some point, but Matt B is right, she will come back to it and enjoy the memories of the times she spent fishing with her dad.
To fish or not to fish... NOT TO FISH??? Like that's even a question!!!!