Torpedo Divers

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Torpedo Divers

Post by Hairbone »

I got the set of Torpedo divers and rigged them up using the OR-16 clips and 12" wire leaders.

Inintial results with 50' leader, 4 colors of lead & 30 pound power pro backing was good. I didn't get any slipage on the power pro and taking the diver off while fighting a fish was a breeze.

Ran this down the shoot and also on the otter boats using pinch pad releases.

Also ran on 30 pound power pro with a 50 leader for some success.

What I liked about the whole set up was it was much easier to run a long leader than setting up a slide diver. Looking forward to trying these out during the fall bite!

Would like to hear if anyone else is using these and how they are doing.
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Re: Torpedo Divers

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

Very interesting.......... :shock: What are you getting for a depth curve??? I think I would very much be interested in this for Lakers :D

It looks as if you have bent the tail for some outward travel.... is that correct??
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I think jeff235 uses them, they sure dint pull as hard as a slide diver when trolling...

Thanks for the info...
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

I think the tail is straight on that one, just the angle of pic. I did try that tail bend and was not impressed on the first go of it.

As far as pull it is far less than a slide diver and you can use a light drag setting on your reel comparted to a slide diver.

What i do see as beneficial to these is that the smaller sizes can be used on your big boards with long leads set at shallow depths to get a small spoon down to the end of the drag line for that early & late season surface bite.
Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Hairbone wrote:Image

I got the set of Torpedo divers and rigged them up using the OR-16 clips and 12" wire leaders.

Inintial results with 50' leader, 4 colors of lead & 30 pound power pro backing was good. I didn't get any slipage on the power pro and taking the diver off while fighting a fish was a breeze.

What I liked about the whole set up was it was much easier to run a long leader than setting up a slide diver. Looking forward to trying these out during the fall bite!

Hairbone, does this mean that you are clipping the torpedo on after 50' of leader and 4 colors of lead core and then let it down some number of feet? If so that means you were fishing the torpedo depth plus maybe another 24' due to the lead core? Do the clips stay in place firmly? Just trying to figure out what you're doing so we can learn.
We're currently using dipsy divers.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Vtfishinglady wrote:
Hairbone wrote:Image

Hairbone, does this mean that you are clipping the torpedo on after 50' of leader and 4 colors of lead core and then let it down some number of feet? If so that means you were fishing the torpedo depth plus maybe another 24' due to the lead core? Do the clips stay in place firmly? Just trying to figure out what you're doing so we can learn.
We're currently using dipsy divers.

Yes! The Offshore OR-16 clip has a plastic peace to set the line behind direct center of the pinch pad to keep it from popping off the line, and so far have seen no slippage.

The lead core rig is just something thought up based on running a # of cores off a downrigger called the super secret rig. Just another way of putting your lure in "Clean Water" so to speek outside the disturbance of your boat. The whole point of this, along with the slide diver with a long lead is to put your lure in front of fish that most likely wouldn't run up to your downrigger and jump on any lure hanging behind a set of blades. In escence, your are searching for larger mature fish. I will let you know how I make out with that :mrgreen:

Here is the basic idea:

Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation. I had seen that picture referenced before but wanted to understand it better. So many new things to learn.
tealtumbler
Species: LLS, Lakers,Steelhead

Post by tealtumbler »

I also started running these earlier this spring. I ran them set just a posted earlier on 12" steel leaders and the OR releases. I ran it in front of two colors and 30' of mono. Found them easy to remove while fighting a fish and I fish alone quite abit. I cant wait to try them off boards which I havent done yet. I think they are a stealthy presentation and not anywhere near the drag of the slide diver or dipseys. Just another great tool in the arsenal.
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hairbone; pretty kool stuff! Are those the snapper set? What outfit did you order from and do the OR-16's come from the same place?
KEN K.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

dreamcatcher wrote:Hairbone; pretty kool stuff! Are those the snapper set? What outfit did you order from and do the OR-16's come from the same place?

That is the 8 oz one rigged and the 12 oz one at the bottom of the pic. I ordered from torpedo diver directly and got the leaders and OR-16 clips from http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/ I did try to buy the clip "local" and the few places i checked did not have them.

I am going to wash some lures tomorrow and see if i can get them to fire.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

This is good stuff...
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Thanks Hairbone; I watched Keating's video and it gave me another idea. Good fishing today catch the big one! :)
KEN K.
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

What outfit did you order from and do the OR-16's come from the same place?
The OR-16 and 2 sizes of torpedo divers are in stock at The Old Fishing Hole in Morrisville. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

JabberJaws wrote:
What outfit did you order from and do the OR-16's come from the same place?
The OR-16 and 2 sizes of torpedo divers are in stock at The Old Fishing Hole in Morrisville. Ramel
Ramel; thanks for posting to bad it was'nt sooner would have perferred to keep the cash in state! ;)
KEN K.
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Another stealthy presentation. Used them off the boards on Lake Ontario this summer with good results.
See you on the pond!