Time for Copper and Lead? Running the junk...

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Re: Time for Copper and Lead? Running the junk...

Post by Hairbone »

Great reading guys! Makes you wonder why we don't have a sub-board on "junk lines"...hint ;)

I have never ran a "copper" trolling set-up but have an old school copper "jerking" set-up i take out once a year. Did see a few guys jerking copper out of a trophy 2 weeks ago outside shelburne bay. nice to see an old tradition still alive, but it is far from my favorite way to catch a laker.

I don't get the long leadcore set-ups. I just rigged up a 4 core rig this spring and have success adding weights and am now using the torpedo diver with this rig and seeing some success. Using those offshore clips with a 20lb 12" pre-made wire leader off the torpedo and working great!.
Last edited by Hairbone on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

Hairbone wrote:Great reading guys! Makes you wonder why we don't have a sub-board on "junk lines"...hint ;)

I have never ran a "copper" trolling set-up but have an old school copper "jerking" set-up i take out once a year. Did see a few guys jerking copper out of a trophy 2 weeks ago outside shelbuene bay. nice to see an old tradition still alive, but it is far from my favorite way to catch a laker.

I don't get the long leadcore set-ups. I just rigged up a 4 core rig this spring and have success adding weights and am now using the torpedo diver with this rig and seeing some success. Using those offshore clips with a 20lb 12" pre-made wire leader off the torpedo and working great!.
Thats INTETRESTING :shock: Can you post a pic of that for us????
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

FISHCRAZY(LALLY) wrote:
Hairbone wrote:Great reading guys! Makes you wonder why we don't have a sub-board on "junk lines"...hint ;)

I have never ran a "copper" trolling set-up but have an old school copper "jerking" set-up i take out once a year. Did see a few guys jerking copper out of a trophy 2 weeks ago outside shelbuene bay. nice to see an old tradition still alive, but it is far from my favorite way to catch a laker.

Thats INTETRESTING :shock: Can you post a pic of that for us????
If you are looking for a pic of me jerking my copper I might have some trouble :lol:

But, if you are talking about that leadcore set-up it is right here :D

http://www.torpedodivers.com/trolling.asp#leadcore

I will take a pic of how I set up the torpedo later
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

FISHCRAZY(LALLY) wrote:On lake "O" charters they call the Copper set up "The client killer"...... just saying ;)
I don't understand how it affects the fight...?

I understood that they called the 600 copper the "client killer" because of the amount of line that the fish can potentially take out, and thereby killing the arms of the client as they have to reel it back in...ie. they didn't call the 300 copper that same thing...

I will add that one of the kings I reeled in last week was on copper and it sure was fun!
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

vtfishin wrote:
FISHCRAZY(LALLY) wrote:On lake "O" charters they call the Copper set up "The client killer"...... just saying ;)

I understood that they called the 600 copper the "client killer" because of the amount of line that the fish can potentially take out, and thereby killing the arms of the client as they have to reel it back in...ie. they didn't call the 300 copper that same thing...

I will add that one of the kings I reeled in last week was on copper and it sure was fun!
Hey vtfish, I clearly stated it was my opinion.... and encouraged to go ahead and give it a try ;) I'm with Ya on the king salmons ability to still put up a fight on Copper. I am spoiled when it comes to fishing them and prefer not to use copper. that being said I feel this way because I have caught and fought many fish on it. I have caught lakers and browns the size of the Atlantic's in Champlain and it was a fraction of the fight one would expect. To some it's better than catching nothing so I was only expressing how I felt personally and did not disregard it as a viable option :)

I also don't care to use Dipsey's for Atlantic's, however I LOVE them for Chinooks!!! I much prefer the slide diver for the Atlantic's for it allows you to feel the fight much better. Once again I also have the option so I choose to use them differently for different species.

I also don't care to use wire line for the Dipsey's, yet it's a most common practice. I prefer Power-Pro and have had equally as good of results with it. I have come to these conclusions, not based on what others have said or what I have read, but instead because I have wagged war against the finned kind with all of the above mentioned tactics!! :D So many options So little time!! After all the object of the game is to catch fish so feel free deploy your tactic of choice ;)

Ultimately Riggers are my ABSOLUTE favorite way to target cold water fishes. Some days they just don't get it done though :(

Tight lines!!!
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Lally,

Here is how I rigged up the torpedo diver. I am going to start another thread so this one doesn't get high jacked :roll:

vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

FISHCRAZY(LALLY) wrote:
vtfishin wrote:
Hey vtfish, I clearly stated it was my opinion.... and encouraged to go ahead and give it a try ;) I'm with Ya on the king salmons ability to still put up a fight on Copper. I am spoiled when it comes to fishing them and prefer not to use copper. that being said I feel this way because I have caught and fought many fish on it. I have caught lakers and browns the size of the Atlantic's in Champlain and it was a fraction of the fight one would expect. To some it's better than catching nothing so I was only expressing how I felt personally and did not disregard it as a viable option :)

I also don't care to use Dipsey's for Atlantic's, however I LOVE them for Chinooks!!! I much prefer the slide diver for the Atlantic's for it allows you to feel the fight much better. Once again I also have the option so I choose to use them differently for different species.

I also don't care to use wire line for the Dipsey's, yet it's a most common practice. I prefer Power-Pro and have had equally as good of results with it. I have come to these conclusions, not based on what others have said or what I have read, but instead because I have wagged war against the finned kind with all of the above mentioned tactics!! :D So many options So little time!! After all the object of the game is to catch fish so feel free deploy your tactic of choice ;)

Ultimately Riggers are my ABSOLUTE favorite way to target cold water fishes. Some days they just don't get it done though :(

Tight lines!!!
Hey Rick,
No worries, I wasn't trying to dispute, I was trying to understand how it all works and understand (now) that the copper/wire game isn't as sensitive as other lines or braids. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I hope to catch enough to start figuring out the differences! :D
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

I tried copper on Champlain and not much challenge but it was neat that you could feel every little twitch the fish made. The one thing it had over leadcore is the positive ions the copper gives off don't know if that matters or not but it didn't hurt. If you set up a copper rig the 55L is the smallest reel you can put 300' of copper on. The 45 will fit 200' and backing. The clip for the planer boards is an Off Shore Tackle OR16 they come 2 in a pack. I use them on all my in-lines and they are great. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

JabberJaws wrote:I tried copper on Champlain and not much challenge but it was neat that you could feel every little twitch the fish made. The one thing it had over leadcore is the positive ions the copper gives off don't know if that matters or not but it didn't hurt. If you set up a copper rig this the smallest reel you can put 300' of copper on. The 45 will fit 200' and backing. The clip for the planer boards is an Off Shore Tackle OR16 they come 2 in a pack. I use them on all my in-lines and they are great. Ramel

Thanks Ramel! The Okuma 55 L Convector is a good reel for 10 colors of lead or 300 feet of copper. I bought my copper pre-tied to mono and backing as a complete package 5 years ago. Looking forward to testing it.
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

FISHCRAZY(LALLY) wrote:
vtfishin wrote:

Tight lines!!!
Very Well put Rick! Diversity & experimentation!! :lol:
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

Yup it's the one and done rig. It may work to get a hookup but gotta agree with you that it sucks to fight big fish on. It may not be so bad here on Champlain though.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

Reelax wrote:Ron, been running 5 to 8 colors so far, haven't gone to full core yet..
Hey Matt! I have been running my 10 color core down the shute on Champlain this year with great results. I have bought some of the Dive Bombs by Michigan stinger & add them to the core to get the depth I am looking for. They have them from 1oz all the way up to 12oz. with a 4oz I have been able to get deep when the fish have been staged down in the 45ft to 55ft area. Just one more thing in the bag of tricks! I ran the same unit with a 10oz out on Ontario.....as usual the Kings tore the s--t out of the set up! Need a heavier leader out there! Thats what they call learning! :lol:

Nice knew ride BTW! :D