Time for Copper and Lead? Running the junk...

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Time for Copper and Lead? Running the junk...

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Since it was a rain day and the digitroll stayed dry in the mancave after knocking the "To do" list down today I pulled out some Ontario set-ups from 5 years ago that never really got any water time with Church Walleye inline boards.

This story started in Lake Huron a few weeks ago as I had a chance to see a couple of 10 color leads in action on Bill and Chet's boat off the inline Walleye boards. These guys used to run full size planer boards for there full core lead setups and now have transitioned to the Walleye inline boards full time the past few seasons with no looking back. After seeing these deployed down the chute and attaching the boards and watching them run port and starboard outside the Dipsies I was really impressed. "Some days the lead take most of the fish". Bill exclaimed.

After seeing Pat Church run both sizes of inlines and Thorny running his lead on his boat this year maybe it's time to get out my 300 ft copper set-up and 300 ft full core lead with my walleye church inlines and run some junk as they say outside my slide divers. Opening up a big lane outside of the slide divers on either side of the boat can create opportunities for big fish in quiet water.

300 feet of copper and lead will run around 50 feet down. I will use my Fishhawk TD to test the depths. 50 feet down is a great place to run a quiet presentation.

Big Okumu reels on 6 1/2 ft Medium ugly sticks become the recipe to hold 50 feet of mono leader, 300 feet of lead or copper, and plenty of nylon backing to place in the jaws of the church boards. Not sporting in the least for our fish, but at the end of the day if you can land a few big guys in the quiet water like the slides have done people will quickly forget how they were landed. :D

I like to push the envelope and try new things. Does that mean it will always be successful? Maybe not. However, it's the thrill of the chase that keeps it exciting especially when something new results in a toad. Maybe it's time to run some of the junk. :idea:

Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Time for Copper and Lead? Running the junk...

Post by Reelax »

Ron, I been running leadcore off the inline boards on champlain to add to the spread this year.. With 2 riggers, 2 slide divers and 2 sets of lead core out it really can mix up the presentations...
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Matt,

Have you been running all 10 colors?

R
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I guess I have a loooong way to go. I understood planer board and Ugly Stik, but was lost in the smoke after that. Keep talking, I'll figure it out. I learned about weighted vs. floating lines and backer/filler line during my flyfishing years. So, that being said, I think I'll not install the planer mast at this time and get the downrigger experience first.
Thanks for the "how to" info.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Ron,
I'm glad I saw this. After the charter on Lake Ontario last week I got to thinking about copper on Champlain. We were fishing right after Irene so the lake had flipped and was iced out and the fish were scattered. The mate threw everything out; riggers, copper, dipseys on wire and otter boat planars to get a bunch of different presentations and depths. I noted he used 20' per 100' as a rule on copper.
I was just figuring out some of the rigger stuff so it was great to see the use of weighted lines up close to see what you guys have been talking about.

Question for you guys: Do you run the backing to the boards and then the copper 300' behind the boards to get 50-60' down? Sorry if this is a dumb question...
digitroll (ron)

A great question. That is the reason for the backing as you don't want to put the lead or the copper in the jaws of the inline planer board. The lead might break and the copper won't hold. Backing is the solution and it provides a good grip for the jaws to grab. Then you run the 300 feet of lead or copper behind the boards. Yup!
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:A great question. That is the reason for the backing as you don't want to put the lead or the copper in the jaws of the inline planer board. The lead might break and the copper won't hold. Backing is the solution and it provides a good grip for the jaws to grab. Then you run the 300 feet of lead or copper behind the boards. Yup!
Good stuff Ron; I've run lead but not copper, I'm wondering when realing in is there less resistance on the copper than the lead? Thanks! :?:
KEN K.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Ron, been running 5 to 8 colors so far, haven't gone to full core yet..
digitroll (ron)

Maybe not deep enough Matt? I wouldn't run it in the Sea this time of year with the white perch invasion. I would want to run a big lure on this to keep away the cookie's or with some kind of flasher or dodger. Minimize the small fish and target the big fish. Running 50 to 60 feet down way out in the quiet water is the goal with bigger lure. Just as an experimental rig when a third person is on the boat or the bite is dead and you are hunting. I have never run my copper in 5 years, but maybe it's time as well.

R
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

Ron,

Change those line clips on the Church Boards to the "Clip weight" line clips from Cannon. They are red and have a post in them and you can clip the line wherever you wish ;) You won't break the lead, but you will be limited to how far out you run the boards because the lead line in front of it will cause drag.

The clip is designed to attach to the line so it will not damage it. I use it on all my board sizes even the mini boards. These clips make it impossible to slip off of braided lines as well. Nothing more frustrating then having to turn your boat around to get a lost board!!! These mini boards will drag up to 5 colors of lead to the outside of your spread by the way :D Eliminates having to up-size your rods as much ;) I love planer boards!! Use them in all sizes for all applications. It is a common practice on Lake "O" to set copper and leadcore outside the spread on these. Not sure I would enjoy fighting a Landloc on copper however :roll:

Heres a close up of the clips post ;) Like me.... It's what makes it "Special" :lol:

Tight Lines.....
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
digitroll (ron)

Those clips look like offshore releases Rick. Dan Keating recommends wrapping a rubber band around the walleye board release especially in 2 foot waves. It prevents losing boards. I have never run copper for anything so it will be learning experience. Can't be any worse than 300 feet of lead? :?:

Thats what make it fun trying. I want to run some bigger presentations on them both to keep the little fish away.
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)

Ron.... you are right!! Offshore.. sorry :oops: There I go with the name thing again!! :lol: No need for rubber bands, just change the clip!! I run boards for a lot of the year..... I never troll for walleyes without them. These clips were the game changer for me, especially because I prefer braid because of the slow speeds of which I troll for eyes and my hook-up ratio is much improved with it ;)

As for Copper.... in my opinion it is MUCH worse than leadcore at diminishing the fight. I'm the first to argue that the reason we fish is to fight fish and not dictate how, but I personally hate Copper and if the captain insists on putting it out on lake "O" I eagerly decline my turn at fighting a fish on it.

It is however proven to save trips and win tournaments out there...... I would rather go dredge up some lake trout on the riggers than fight a king on that stuff.

Good luck with your experiment ;) Always fun trying something new!!!!
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)

On lake "O" charters they call the Copper set up "The client killer"...... just saying ;)
JK47
Species: All Species

Post by JK47 »

Great info guys!!

I have the church walleye boards on my rig, and will look to replace the clip as it looks like a much improved set-up.

I hope to give them a try tonight for eyes in the IS.
digitroll (ron)

Rick,

Interesting about the copper. I set one up to fish the Loc derby in Niagara and have never used it. Boat traffic can be tricky putting out 300 ft of lead or copper on boards during that derby. I might try it once, but if it's that bad compared to lead then it will become a wall flower. :mrgreen: