Show Boat

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Re: Show Boat

Post by Bearcat »

Here is the old standby that's been draggin spoons around Snake Den for the past few years:
https://s22.postimg.org/8rjf1ui9d/outrage_2016.jpg

And here is the summer project:
https://s18.postimg.org/5x3qce17t/dyer_hull.jpg
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Here ya go, Bearcat. That's a classic and a beauty. I'm looking forward to checking it out. The first image (I presume your Whaler) is a dead link:

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Thanks Andy, here's another attempt:

https://s28.postimg.org/97v30xxvx/outrage_2016.jpg
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

That one works...man that looks cool with the twin 'cats.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Thanks Andy, that's actually the 4th boat I've had those same two motors on, ( 2 outrage 21's a revenge 19 and an aquasport 19-6), they idle great for trolling and burn next to nothing. Thanks for the help with the photo's! Another couple of weeks or so and it'll be time to soak the gear, the 30" of snow was a bit of a setback.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

BottomDollar wrote:Here ya go, Bearcat. That's a classic and a beauty. I'm looking forward to checking it out. The first image (I presume your Whaler) is a dead link:

That is a nice ride
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Thanks Harry, Not sure if it'll be ready for the lake this season - I've been into it with a chainsaw and a sledge hammer and there's a lot of complicated wood work to rebuild but I enjoy the process.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Questions about canvas cockpit cover height...

In the pics of boats less than 20", I see a couple of (cockpit) canvas types. Digitroll's rig, nearly identical to my son's 25 yr old Sea Nymph, has what I believe to be the standard canvas type sold with the boat. This cover is quite a bit lower than the ones on boats owned by Raz and MarknFish, both perhaps custom covers.

My questions are directed at Raz and MarknFish...I know the taller cover provides more headroom, but when the weather is cold and side curtains are attached, do the top and side covers remain stable when it gets windy - say 10-15 mph? And does the taller profile of your canvas pick up the wind and affect your boat's maneuverability? (I think it must, to some extent).

Thanks for any replies.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Hey tmcaul, I have had Dennis Carmen Vermont Custom Canvas do two Surprises the first is 30 years old and other than zippers still solid and running with a new owner where it summers on Lake Dunmore.

Dennis did the new Surprise in the same way Lower top so it tracks better in wind and I also leave all canvas up when trailering from home to the ramp with walk thru back curtains when it's cold and the heat is on. Tell him what you want and he will engineer and draw it up for you. Pick your color then wait.
A GREAT investment on a fine engineered product. Spent $2,000 in 1987 and $3,200 in 2012 That included a custom Rod Arch for Scotty Holders.
http://vermontcustomcanvas.com/

Randy
Last edited by Surprise on Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fish On!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

How much do these canvases generally run? My stock ones are getting old and have some issues and would like to replace them this fall. Boat is a 20ft alum
Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Keith I added to the above post. Give him a call. Randy
Fish On!
Bigred71
Species: Cold Water

Post by Bigred71 »

I second Dennis. Does great, long lasting work. He built me exactly what I wanted, fairly priced and incredibly durable. Surprise, did you have Dennis build the custom arch for you? I'm contemplating something similar with my planet board reels on each side and some spreader lights. I've been looking online but don't really like any of the adjustable ones.

Thanks,
Bryan
Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Bryan, I like you had looked at possibilities from commercial Arches and went Yikes. I like Scotty products and being a Flyrodder too. The ability to change from Candlestick holder to Flyrod it made sense to use Rail mount Scottys. I told Dennis, he drew a sketch and it was done. $250. I then added the Scottys
Fish On!
Bigred71

Post by Bigred71 »

Excellent to know, thank you I will take the same path :)
Bigred71

Post by Bigred71 »

Excellent to know, thank you I will take the same path :)