New Toys

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

New Toys

Post by Dirtyhooker »

I was introduced this weekend to Wingers by Capt Bill Saiff.As most of us that fish Champlain have smaller boats with narrow beams compared to the big lake boats. It can be difficult at times to run a 4 rigger program and keep from tangles. These work I did not have one tangle this weekend running flashers and flies on all 4 riggers down 80-110 ft. Placed on each outside rigger with the curve facing away from the boat they effectively pull the balls on the outside out even further similar to a dipsey on a 2 or 3 setting.Capt Bill Saiff uses them on all 5 of his Lake Boats and has the original mold and is manufacturing and selling them they are about 30 dollars apiece.
So many Lures So little Time
digitroll (ron)

Re: New Toys

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I remember an old rod + reel show demo'ing the wingers. Nice!
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

Bill the third has written at great lengths about these in Lake Ontario Outdoors! I hadnt seen them as yet...but have had interest in trying them! How did you get them & what pound weight were you using if you dont mind sharing.......no doubt i have interest in giving them a shot for next year!
Dirtyhooker

Post by Dirtyhooker »

I run 3 scottys propaks 2 port 1 starboard. I run a cannon easytroll starboard stearn for my depth raider always my most shallow rigger. I run an 8lb shark on the cannon. 12# shark on the starboard Scotty. On the port side I ran a 12# torpedo with a 12# trutrac ball off the stearn.It can be hard to tell how far they reach out . But at 3 feet down they would look like they pulled out 6-12 inches. My boat only has an eight foot beam. I actually bought them Thursday night from Bill III at his Westview Lodge. Flash point I would be more than happy to show them to you some morning out of Westport this fall
Scott
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

Icedawg,

Wow, you just kindled a "why didn't ya" thought to me. I got a set of these about 15 years ago fishing O and use them only when I've been out there. You're right! They work great seperating the side riggers and weigh almost nothing. They keep the riggers seperated on turns and running cross wind.

thanks for reminding me Icedawg,

Michael
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Something that Ben and Ramel should stock. They look great!
Dirtyhooker

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Ran them today. I switched from the heavy sharks on the wingers to an 8 LB Yeck ball. Amazing results. With the shark weight I gained 4-8 ft out. With the 8# ball I would estimate 8-15'out. It was better than a dipsey on a 3 setting. ;)
Scott
blue lund
Species: salmon trout walleye

Post by blue lund »

I use to love watching the Rod and Reel show when I was a kid. The Saiff's were very imformative hosts.
Dodger
Species: salmon

Post by Dodger »

Hi All. Good trick that I never heard of, Ice Dawg. I understand that you bought them from Bill the third at his lodge, but to echo Flash Point's question, do you have any idea how to obtain them otherwise? I have met Bill a couple times at shows, and find him both entertaining and very informative. I googled Bill Saif / wingers and could not find out where or how you can purchase them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

Dodger
Species: salmon

Post by Dodger »

Awesome! Thanks very much TJ.
Good luck to you guys when the silvers come back.
Richard
vtperchman

Post by vtperchman »

sound good thank for the link
Dirtyhooker

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Thanks for givimg them the link
scott