Small Laker Survey

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Small Laker Survey

Post by digitroll (ron) »

With the recent surge of small lakers taken since the water has hit 55F a few weeks ago I would be curious how many have all their fins making them native spawned? Just a percentage of your trip that are native? Could be good data for future stocking of Lake Trout for the powers to be.

I have switched out my releases to deal with all the small fish we have seen the last few weeks to Scotty's. Easier to view a hitch hiker yet the release is stiff enough (set properly) to provide a good hook-up on a decent salmon.

Imagewhere is the nearest service station
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Small Laker Survey

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I love those clips. Easy to use and very efficient.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

One of my fishing buddies use them Gerry and I called Andre up 2-3 days ago to get his view on them and it's all positive. We had 30 bites not all releases the other day and lost a really nice salmon behind the boat for 5 hours of effort (4 rods). At times the lakers are just swimming along not releasing. I think this will solve that problem nicely. We can see the line moving around if a hitch hiker is present easier. The 18" leader makes it easier that you don't have to reach down to put a line in the release as well near the ball! Simple to use for guests on the boat and kids. I like it!
digitroll (ron)

First decent day to fish in a week since we last went out. Flat as a pancake from 7:30 am until 1 pm. when we quit. Didn't have one hitchhiker all day on the Scotty releases. 40% of the 25 LT landed were native fish with 35 bites. One 15" salmon for today's effort. Covered 35 miles from Thompson/ Split to Fishville. Mike Morin was my guest today and it's been about 2 years since we fished together. The Scotty's really worked well and so easy to set with the big jaws and the 18" leader snapped into the tail of the weights without having to reach way down to set other releases. 6 boats out today. Were about a week early for the salmon based on previous years data. These releases are awesome!