Salmon Future

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Salmon Future

Post by C-Hawk »

Somehow, I don't think a good Laker recipe will help create better salmon fishing.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

tamiron wrote:dry net
Keeping a legal limit is never an issue! Just the opposite.

But harvesting even a legal limit without using them for consumption is questionable.

Improper handling is an issue for any catch and release.
Sorry I must have misinterpreted what people were saying, all the best Matt
mhf (Matt)
Species: Trout, salmon, perch, bass

Post by mhf (Matt) »

The first time I enjoyed eating fish as a kid was a delicious lake trout meal that my grandmother prepared. All I remember now is that the filet was covered in almond slices and I loved it. I wish I had her recipe today. While lakers might not be the top choice fish, I think they can still make a great naturally produced meal if prepped well.
As far as lakers eating salmon, I will be studying the year-round diet of adult wild and stocked lake trout in Champlain over the next few years so hopefully I can give more meaningful information there. Obviously, I will only be able to see a portion of the population, but I hope to get a strong understanding of what makes up lake trout diet and in what quantities. If anyone does see salmon or anything else abnormal spit up by a laker or in it's stomach, please let me know (accompanying pictures would be great for confirmation).
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

mhf (Matt) wrote:The first time I enjoyed eating fish as a kid was a delicious lake trout meal that my grandmother prepared. All I remember now is that the filet was covered in almond slices and I loved it. I wish I had her recipe today. While lakers might not be the top choice fish, I think they can still make a great naturally produced meal if prepped well.
As far as lakers eating salmon, I will be studying the year-round diet of adult wild and stocked lake trout in Champlain over the next few years so hopefully I can give more meaningful information there. Obviously, I will only be able to see a portion of the population, but I hope to get a strong understanding of what makes up lake trout diet and in what quantities. If anyone does see salmon or anything else abnormal spit up by a laker or in it's stomach, please let me know (accompanying pictures would be great for confirmation).
All Champlain Anglers should report this info to MHF. This feedback could really help ( stocking program, bag limits, species emphasis, etc.!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Preparing Lake Trout:
1. Get it on ice as soon possible after catching.
2. Because it takes a long time for it to mature, it has some definite differences that need to be addressed. The lateral line area grows with fish. It is under the skin, on the outside of the fillet and is much darker than the rest of the fish, and is bitter tasting.
3. Lake trout should be filleted, rib cage ( not just the bones ) removed, skin removed, dark flesh around lateral line all removed.
4. Y-bones can be removed by cutting out that section or by Fish deboning tweezers, or by needle nose pliers (I hate bones!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Q6xfl-MLw
5. At this point you have drastically reduced most of the causes of fish consumption advisories.
6. Consume while still fresh.

From here the various cooking methods take over.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I think we need to veer away from the Laker thing. They are here to stay, and while I believe their numbers are hurting salmon population, I am not committed to that being the only problem. When you add everything up the last five years, and I don't need to name them all, the salmon seem to be the most sensitive to biological trends. I think it's high time for New York, which has the resources, and Vermont, to do more in a comprehensive study of the salmon issue, and quit pussyfooting around the issues. The longer problems are ignored, the worse they become. If you are sitting in your garage, polishing your boat, thinking I'm talking out of my hat, and everything is ok, well I'm here to tell you, you have a future of cookie cutters and Lakers for your fishing pleasure.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

C-Hawk wrote:I think we need to veer away from the Laker thing. They are here to stay, and while I believe their numbers are hurting salmon population, I am not committed to that being the only problem. When you add everything up the last five years, and I don't need to name them all, the salmon seem to be the most sensitive to biological trends. I think it's high time for New York, which has the resources, and Vermont, to do more in a comprehensive study of the salmon issue, and quit pussyfooting around the issues. The longer problems are ignored, the worse they become. If you are sitting in your garage, polishing your boat, thinking I'm talking out of my hat, and everything is ok, well I'm here to tell you, you have a future of cookie cutters and Lakers for your fishing pleasure.
Well said !
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

And it's not just salmon, I haven't caught a Broad Lake steelhead, or brown for two years either.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

There isn't a picture here that is newer than 4 years old. I have many more. All fish caught on my boat. All Broad Lake fish
Attachments
WP_20130810_005.jpg
WP_20130810_005.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
0617161301.jpg
0617161301.jpg (88.18 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
0615161249a.jpg
0615161249a.jpg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
KIMG0128.JPG
KIMG0128.JPG (112 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
0617171229_HDR.jpg
0617171229_HDR.jpg (114.38 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
0716160941.jpg
0716160941.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
9618618_G.jpg
9618618_G.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
WP_20140823_012.jpg
WP_20140823_012.jpg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
WP_20150705_009.jpg
WP_20150705_009.jpg (117.47 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
rsz_temporary_zpsrdnp8ew_edit_1440460730141 (1).jpg
rsz_temporary_zpsrdnp8ew_edit_1440460730141 (1).jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Anybody willing to give up the Broad Lake? This is what you'll miss, Broad Lake=Broad Fish
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I defy anyone here to post a similar picture that is two years old or less, taken from the Broad Lake, except Ron, with a lonely, although nice, steelhead.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

This forum is getting to be a lonely place to express an opinion.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Hey Jeff... Facebook has a few good posts. The Surestrike page has some nice solo fish a couple a week they took in their area off Shelburne August into September on the main lake. We tried 3-4 times but it's a numbers game meaning one needs to be out there 8 hours a day 7 days a week. I am so looking forward to Ontario this year. :)
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

I'm not a biologist just have an opinion, here in NH our salmon fishery has been on the decline and I argue the advanced electronics and lack of harvesting is part of the issue. Stocking too small fry/par is another. Advanced electronics is self explanatory, lack of harvest = years ago guys would go catch their two fish and go home now we fish and catch and release as many as we can so hook wounding is an issue. Small stocking= well the longer the fish stay in the hatchery the more $$$$ it costs. The lake trout are taking over our lakes and they're eating machines, take the limits off lakers put a bounty on em what ever. This is just opinion not researched based.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I think you're right Barry with the electronics thing. I fished for 30 years without navionics, because of the little humps I found, weren't showing up on navionics until about 5 years ago. Now everyone can find the little bumps and cliffs that had taken me years to plot. Now everyone finds them.