Chamberlain Modifications

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Post by Gray Ghost »

I really like the Chamberlain downrigger releases, ran into some problems with using the stacker on coated downrigger cable and losing them off the cable when not engaged. One night I had an inspiration of how to modify the stacker.
For the coated cable solution a keeper, a Duo Lock #2 and Off Shore medium planer board release “OR17BWW “ was added to the stacker.

Gus
Tight Lines
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Chamberlain Modifications

Post by raz »

Great idea Guss.
So far I'm not too impressed the the stacker Chamberlain...I think the "Cam Mechanism" needs to go back to the drawing board. I've found mine can be very difficult to get locked into position so the release stays put.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Gus
I had the same problem with the stackers on coated cable. I gave up on them after I lost the 2nd one. I had a long talk with Kevin, the inventor and owner of Chamberlain releases. He had not heard of the problem before. He immediately sent me 2 new ones. I will give them another try. The offshore tether is a good idea.
Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Post by Gray Ghost »

Raz wrote:Great idea Guss.
So far I'm not too impressed the the stacker Chamberlain...I think the "Cam Mechanism" needs to go back to the drawing board. I've found mine can be very difficult to get locked into position so the release stays put.
Gus
I had the same problem with the stackers on coated cable. I gave up on them after I lost the 2nd one. I had a long talk with Kevin, the inventor and owner of Chamberlain releases. He had not heard of the problem before. He immediately sent me 2 new ones. I will give them another try. The offshore tether is a good idea.
Thorny
Raz and Thorny,
I ran the stacker last year and lost one, didn’t know where it went, then I seen one of the stackers was just barely dangling on the DR wire , that is when the keeper came up and then the stacker for the coated cable. So, I ran an unmodified Chamberlain on the bare wire and a modified one on the coated side. My crew was complaining about the difficulty in setting the cam, I have to agree, it takes a lot of pressure to set the cam, to the point the fingers hurt. This year I will modify all the releases with the black Off Shore clip. I have use the Off Shore clip as a stacker and didn’t have any problems. My downriggers are Cannons with short stop feature. When the DR ball is retrieved, the Chamberlain hit the pulley, the Off Shore pops off and the release fall down to the ball, works great.
Gus
Tight Lines
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Gray Ghost wrote: My crew was complaining about the difficulty in setting the cam, I have to agree, it takes a lot of pressure to set the cam, to the point the fingers hurt.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I've found myself using pliers to set them. I wonder if "Chamberlain" is aware of this complaint?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Thanks for the education guys. I run the regular chamberlins but have not tried the 2 stackers I bought this summer yet
Scott
So many Lures So little Time
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

I have used a bunch and there were a few that were tough but most broke right in. I love the rod bend you get from them!
Cardinal
Species: salmon,perch,pike,bass

Post by Cardinal »

i was having trouble setting them to the cable at first. and also i had them set to tight. I watched the you tube video of the guy that made them doing a demonstration on them and it helped a lot for me. They are releaseing with even the littlest fish on and i get good rod bend on it too. when i set the release onto the cable i put a little tension on the lever and lift up and it works great. I have had good luck with them since. I really like them. I do think they need to put a safety lanyard on the stackers though in case they do fall off the cable.